1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

burnt dvds skipping

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by dreamer2263, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dreamer2263

dreamer2263 Thread Starter

i've been trying to burn dvds on my new toshiba laptop. first few worked fine, then they began skipping and having other glitches. was using sony dvd-r, switched to hp dvd-r, and the movies skip in exactly the same places. dvd burner is a matshi ta (wouldn't let me put that together....) dvd-ram uj880as ata device. udma is on. i run windows vista home premium, my laptop is a toshiba satellite l305d with amd athlon x2 dual-core ql-62 and 3 gb of ram. i usually use dvd fab5 to burn, although i have used windows dvd maker which was included with my computer.

can anyone tell me what i need to do?

2. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

It is most likely a blank DVD quality issue. To learn more about which discs are best, and where to buy them, read this free guide: http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Sony "made in Taiwan" should have worked well for you. If those were non-Taiwan Sony, it would explain the problems. HP is CMC-manufactured media, notoriously unreliable in quality.

3. dreamer2263

dreamer2263 Thread Starter

i have discovered that it is not only dvds that skip after burning. music cds do as well. also, my friend had some verbatim dvd-r. i used one of those, and the problem still exists.

4. Rabee

Rabee

try using a disc burning software such as : nero, or roxio.
    the problem is mostly in Vista, i have faced lots of such issues.
    if you want a good one now for free try
    http://www.nch.com.au/burn/index.html

That website also contains a bunch of excellent products,
    i recommend you to try there media converting programs they rock !

5. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Don't use unknown burning software, don't buy anything either. If you switch from DVDFab for burning, only use ImgBurn for DVD-Video, a well-respected burning freeware.

The problem may simply be the laptop drive. Laptop optical drives are notorious for being flaky. I gave up years ago, I now take an external DVD burner with me, either a "compact" model -- or better yet, the full-sized drives.

6. Rabee

Rabee

OK, that may be the reason, but Vista also is not the OS that you can depend on.

7. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Vista is not as good as XP, but it's okay too.

8. Rabee

Rabee

I simply describe Vista by the following:
    "A big chunk of software, which was programed by a blind programmer"
    :p

9. vicks

vicks

I would suggest using a cd/dvd cleaning disk. It is possible that it simply needs to be cleaned. (do NOT touch the laser reader with your fingers).
    vicks

10. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/820475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice