1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

burnt my cpu....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by virtualgeorg, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virtualgeorg

virtualgeorg Thread Starter

While trying to determine if I had a bad cpu or motherboard, I pulled my processor(athlon xp 2400) and stuck in another pc. The fan was a pain to get off so I figured I would not put it back on, just see if the pc boots with this processor.

I guess that was not too smart as I could smell something funny, kind of like burnt money:)

The little square on top look kind of fried also so I guess if it wasn't bad before, it surely is now.

So intel cpus will shut them selves off if the fan dies or something right?
    But on an Amd, apparently even a few seconds will fry the chip, is that correct?

-George

2. McTimson

McTimson

Sorry to hear that....

Yes, Intel P4's will automatically slow down to a speed where the temperature is OK, older Pentiums will shut off. AMD doesn't have this technology, however, so it's up to the motherboard manufacturers to implement something, but they can't make it good enough so that it will run without a heatsink...

And yes, that processor is now dead, and if the die (the little black square) is messed up, there's no chance of recovering it.

3. Deathblow

Deathblow

You may have taken the motherboard out as well, if it wasn't shot before that is.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!