Burst capacitor/motherboard/graphics card?

Kidlig

Hello, sorry I am very new to building computers and built my computer around 5 years ago now and have replaced some components here and there throughout the years.

Last night I went out for some drinks with friends and I got a call from my brother saying my room and computer smelled burnt. I ran home and thankfully my brother shut off and unplugged everything. I took off my case cover and found that my motherboard had rust and burnt areas all around the capacitor beside my motherboard and my graphics card had a burnt area. It seemed like it exploded and got my graphics card in the damage as well. I haven’t tried moving graphics card or anything because I’m very confused on what happened and what to do next. If I get a reply I can post pictures of what the graphics card and motherboard look like currently

texasbullet

Ramon
I would recommend you to buy a refurbished desktop. The cost of repairing that computer will range more or less of what the refurbished may cost you.

Kidlig

I would recommend you to buy a refurbished desktop. The cost of repairing that computer will range more or less of what the refurbished may cost you.
See, I’m looking around the web and can’t seem to find a diagnosis for this problem. I would love to just buy the parts I need for this computer instead. Basically what I’m asking is in people’s opinion what do u think is the problem here? Should I replace the graphics card and capacitor or will I have to buy a whole new motherboard along with a new graphics card ?

Johnny b

John
See, I’m looking around the web and can’t seem to find a diagnosis for this problem.
For a diagnosis, you'll need to take the computer to a repair shop, get it tested, and an estimate of repairs.
Details can't be defined with out hands on testing.

Suggestions are about all you can expect searching the Internet.
Some good, some not so good, some incomplete.

You need to know why your motherboard shorted out in the first place.
Was it only a short in the mb, or did the problem start with the power suppy?
Then you need to know if your ram still functions properly.
Is the CPU still reusable?
Your graphics card appears shot as well

You could windup replacing one part after another as you chase down the integrity of an old computer that has been subjected to what was enough of an electrical overload as to smell the overload. That could get more expensive that what an old repaired computer is worth.

Ramon had the cheapest solution, imo

You could rebuild what you have, but start with up to date hardware.
Depending on your needs, like if a gamer, that could require a bit of an investment.

I'm not a gamer.
For Internet connectivity, I like refurbs.
The one I'm posting from is a Grade A, M82 Lenovo ThinkCentre I5 3470, 8GB ram.....from Newegg that cost $130 (on sale) that I bought about 1.5 years ago.
Similar units currently sell in the $150 range.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online