1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bus Controller Driver

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jferdig, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jferdig

jferdig Thread Starter

Hi Guys...

Okay.. I did a clean format of my hard drive... but for some reason it didn't load all the drivers so the last one im trying to figure out is the Bus Controller Driver.. i've been to dell and many other sites but i must just be missing the secret code which downloads and installs the right program to get rid of those silly yellow question marks in my device manager...

im on a dell optiplex gx620....

any help would be greatly appreciated...

thanks...

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Go to the dell website and look under support drivers and downloads for your model of computer. the bus controller driver is usually listed as SMBus or something close to that.xp doesnt usually load all of the drivers needed so for future reference download all of them install the one you are missing and then put them on a cd so you will have them and wont have to go hunting around again.

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
  4. jferdig

jferdig Thread Starter

k.... guys.. ive done that and im either blind or a blithering idiot... i've been to dell.. probably downloaded more files than ill ever use....i dont see anything that even gives me a clue that it is for my bus driver.. i entered my service tag... i searched for bus controller driver for my specific computer and im still not seeing it... so ive been trying... just getting frustrated... lol...

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    When you go to the site for dell under support drivers and downloads for your model under the list of all of the drivers for xp its listed under video. its the intel video driver that i believe will take care of the sm bus controller.its not the ati driver you need.download and install the intel one thats listed and see if that solves the problem.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You made the mistake of doing a clean install of Windows XP SP3 without first identifying the devices and obtaining the drivers for them so you can install the needed ones afterwards.

------------------------------------------------------------

Double-click each of those yellow question marked entries to open their properties window.

Click the "Details" tab and then select "Hardware Ids".

You will see one or more strings that have VEN_####&DEV_#### as part of it.

Advise us what the 4 numbers and letters are that follow VEN_ and DEV_

Be careful not to make any typos.

-------------------------------------------------------------

What's the 7-character "service tag" number on the sticker of that Dell OptiPlex GX620?

Which of the 4 case sizes do you have?
    Minitower
    Desktop
    Small form factor
    Ultra small form factor

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm guessing that it has an Intel 945G chipset.

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. jferdig

jferdig Thread Starter

ok... here's what i got... i have a desk top... tower Service tag is DVFRQ91

The device info i have is as follows...

PCI\VEN_8086&DEVDA&SUBSYS_0AD1028&REV_01
    SUBSYS_0AD01AD1028
    CC_0C0500
    CC_0C05

I didnt retype the first parts down.. all the same....

and a quick follow up question here... how do I copy all of my drivers to a stick for future reference if i ever need to reformat my drive again...???

thanks guys...

8. ncrdisabled

ncrdisabled

I suggest if you can find the driver down load it but if you load it and still has the yellow flag . try clicking on the yellow flag then click click on driver then click on update driver then chose browse my computer then click on the driver you downloaded .
    If you can not find it after downloading it do a search for it then go back and browse to its location's.

If it installs the driver reboot the computer and see if it helps.

9. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I have put the drivers for all of my computers on cds in case they are ever needed again.a flash drive is ok but they can fail. if a cd or dvd is taken care of they can last a very long time.to find the drivers already installed on xp go to start,my computer, local disk c,you should see a dell folder that should have the drivers listed. to send to a flash drive or a cd you click the file and hit send to whatever it is you are using to save the drivers on.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to service tag number DVFRQ91, here is the support and downloads site that's specific only to your Dell OptiPlex GX620 desktop.

I suggest you add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

These are the primary device drivers that you need to download and save and then burn off to a CD-R so you'll have them readily available in the future if needed.

Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio (R97809.exe)

Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Ethernet (R97582.exe)

Intel 82945G Graphics Controller (R98241.exe)

Intel Chipset 9.3.0.1026 (infinst_autol.exe)

The chipset driver needs to be installed first before installing any of the other drivers.

You made a typo when submitting the vendor/device string.

The 4 characters after DEV_ are missing.

VEN_8086 confirms it's an Intel device.

-----------------------------------------------------------

11. jferdig

jferdig Thread Starter

ur right looks like i forgot shud be ... DEV_27DA...

k .. im gonna try those downloads...

12. jferdig

jferdig Thread Starter

I tried to dl the top 3 (after i dl and installed the chipset one)..but it wasnt linking me

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    All the Dell download links work fine. I just checked them again.

Click each link, then click "Download File", then select "Single file download", then click "Continue".

---------------------------------------------------------

14. jferdig

jferdig Thread Starter

ok... it worked this morning.. dont know why i had issues with it yesterday... anyway... i downloaded and installed all... turned computer off/on... went to devices and right clicked on sm bus controller (still a ?) and it still cant locate a driver... so next step?

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You've installed the Intel chipset?

---------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!