1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bus speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by texxjr, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. texxjr

texxjr Thread Starter

how do you no how much you can up grade your Motherboard cpu and Bus Speed????????????????????????? and tell if you can upgrade at all?

2. Dark Star

Dark Star

Take a look in here

http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/98q1/980101/

"how much you can up grade your Motherboard"

.....thing is we're not upgrading MY motherboard and you failed to tell us what type motherboard YOU are dealing with.

Need more info, just post back.......

DS

3. texxjr

texxjr Thread Starter

my computer is a gateway p5-166,Pentium/166 tower Socket 7, 24 of ram,and it has a 1.5 hard drive with a 2 g tape drive

4. brianF

brianF

You would be better off buying new. You aren't going to get much out of it. Maybe 200/233 but those chips are really hard to find now and you really won't notice any speed improvement

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

More ram and/or a larger hard drive would be your best investment if you plan on keeping it.

6. brianF

brianF

I have one at work, if it's the same it uses proprietary ram and it's damn expensive. Only hold 64 meg max I believe.

7. Dark Star

Dark Star

That litlle bit more info really helps alot........

.......Maybe not excactly what you wanted to hear, but the facts are the facts.

DS

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

That's interesting, I didn't think Gateway used proprietary parts..... :( Get back to me on that would you brianF, just for my knowledge base..... ;)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice