1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Busted my external drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dukeoflou, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dukeoflou

dukeoflou Thread Starter

Gawd I'm an idiot. In a rush I plugged in my external drive casing with the cord of my laptop. This means I gave it more juice than it wanted and I think I burned it out. It never worked, of course, when I did that. Now when I use the right cord it doesn't even turn on. There is a green light on the transformer. It is solid till I connect it to the casing. Then it fades a bit and starts to blink. I think it is blinking "You're an idiot" in morse code...

First Question: Could I just have to reset it somehow? (I'd be looking at the instructions but they are at home and I am not.)

I have checked the manual online and there are no reset instructions. I think I will have to buy a new casing...please let it be just a new casing....

The Enclosure is a Nex Star CX External 3.5" USB 2,0 Interface.

Second Question:please tell me that the external casing took the hit not the harddrive inside...

Umm Ya if you preface this answer with "Idiot" I'd totally understand...

Louis

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the voltage and polarity on each of the adapters

should be written on the device
    Voltage DC is what you are after - Laptops are around the 15-25VDC mark and also show a polarity symbol
    DOT with a semicircle around and then lines linking with a + sign and a - sign

3. dukeoflou

dukeoflou Thread Starter

laptop output voltage is 19V.

polarity look like: - dot/half circle +

My external drive casing output voltage (from transformer) 12V

polarity look like: + dot/half circle -

Thanks for the help.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    You would have certainly damaged as the polarity is the wrong way round and almost twice the voltage - so unless they had voltage and polarity protection it will be damaged - and also so may be the harddrive - difficult to tell - do you hear the harddrive spinning at all

5. dukeoflou

dukeoflou Thread Starter

no it doesn't even turn on. no movement whatsoever

6. dukeoflou

dukeoflou Thread Starter

I guess I should buy a new casing and see if the harddrive is fine eh?

7. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

You have almost certainly damaged the hard drive. The power in the case is connected directly to the HD, and given the way HDs are normally used, it is very unlikely that they'll see an incorrect voltage so it is unlikely the manufacturer has provided protection circuitry.

Sorry.

8. dukeoflou

dukeoflou Thread Starter

Crap...well...CRAP!

K thanks guys for the help.

Merry Christmas.

Louis

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice