Busted my external drive?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dukeoflou

Gawd I'm an idiot. In a rush I plugged in my external drive casing with the cord of my laptop. This means I gave it more juice than it wanted and I think I burned it out. It never worked, of course, when I did that. Now when I use the right cord it doesn't even turn on. There is a green light on the transformer. It is solid till I connect it to the casing. Then it fades a bit and starts to blink. I think it is blinking "You're an idiot" in morse code...

First Question: Could I just have to reset it somehow? (I'd be looking at the instructions but they are at home and I am not.)

I have checked the manual online and there are no reset instructions. I think I will have to buy a new casing...please let it be just a new casing....

The Enclosure is a Nex Star CX External 3.5" USB 2,0 Interface.

Second Question:please tell me that the external casing took the hit not the harddrive inside...

Umm Ya if you preface this answer with "Idiot" I'd totally understand...

Louis

etaf

Wayne
whats the voltage and polarity on each of the adapters

should be written on the device
Voltage DC is what you are after - Laptops are around the 15-25VDC mark and also show a polarity symbol
DOT with a semicircle around and then lines linking with a + sign and a - sign

dukeoflou

laptop output voltage is 19V.

polarity look like: - dot/half circle +

My external drive casing output voltage (from transformer) 12V

polarity look like: + dot/half circle -

Thanks for the help.

etaf

Wayne
You would have certainly damaged as the polarity is the wrong way round and almost twice the voltage - so unless they had voltage and polarity protection it will be damaged - and also so may be the harddrive - difficult to tell - do you hear the harddrive spinning at all

jiml8

You have almost certainly damaged the hard drive. The power in the case is connected directly to the HD, and given the way HDs are normally used, it is very unlikely that they'll see an incorrect voltage so it is unlikely the manufacturer has provided protection circuitry.

Sorry.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online