1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Butchered Text In Web Pages.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by needafix, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. needafix

needafix Thread Starter

Anyone know what would cause these text anomalies in the attachment? I have even seen the source code of pages that had one or two little items or letters that had a font tag dictating a foreign text when the entire page is English.

Why do they do that for one or two characters and why do the others appear the way that they do with out any markup telling it to look that way?

The one at the top is even in a Firefox tab.

More often that not the problem is the apostrophe and parentheses characters but it is others too.

I never saw anything like this until newspapers started going financially south so these anomalies suggest to me that the writing of US news and articles is being sub-contracted out to foreign sources and this stuff isn't making the translation somewhere between point a and point b.

At the same time this occurred with the newspapers going bust I also noticed that there was a quick downward spiral in the quality of grammar, spelling and diction in the English text that didn't previously exist in US news stories supposedly written by US media writers. This goes beyond the typo gremlin that pops up on occasion or badly phrased headline that just didn't sound right later as that happens on occasion too.

Very abnormal and suggests sudden mass outsourcing of news writing.

Attached Files:

2. needafix

needafix Thread Starter

Here is one that was just in the email "From" part: �

"REALTOR.com�

This one though actually copies and pastes when others I try to copy and paste come out looking the l (lowercase L).

Now, what on earth would cause one or the other of those parentheses to do this when � does not have any markup that would designate it to appear different?

� doesn't even register in a search engine.

I looked at every font on the computer and there is none containing �.

When I wish to search for *.* files containing �, � pastes as a question mark.

If it is a question mark then why is it not a question mark here and why is it not a parentheses in what you see there?

I use Firefox with a Times New Roman Font if that matters any.

Default Character Encoding is Western (ISO-8859-1) as I have never changed that in Firefox either.

I've never changed fonts in Windows either.

So what would cause this and where could this font be hiding?

Attached Files:

3. needafix

needafix Thread Starter

Any ideas anyone?

4. needafix

needafix Thread Starter

This must be a tough one.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915202

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice