1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buy a full-disk Version of Windows 7 Pro Advice

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by OBE17, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

I'm an XP Pro devotee. It's getting increasingly difficult, however, to "buck-the-trend" of upgrading that is pushed by MicroSoft.
    I bought a new laptop that came with a factory-installed version of Windows 7. Research informed me to buy an upgrade to 7 Pro for the "remote-access" utility and the "virtual XP" provision. I can "live" with it.
    I run about 6 or 7 computers and I'd like to invest in a disk to put 7 Pro on a few of them. What's the best course of action? I see Windows 7 Pro, on Amazon.com for $119. Will it allow me to install it on multiples?
    I paid just-about that much for a disk of Office 2003 (the last version that wasn't equipped with a pass-code number) that I could use as often as I want. I prefer the drop-down versions of Excel to the Menu versions also.
    One drawback is that I also like Outlook Express, and OE runs like a three-legged-dog after you install Office 2003!
    Any help with these dilemmas would be appreciated.

2. gurutech

gurutech

If you will only be using the remote access to access other computers, then you can use Home Premium - as long as you aren't planning to remote INTO one of these machines (without a third party utility like LogMeIn or TeamViewer).

As far as installing on multiple computers, you will need to buy a disk for each computer you are installing it on.

3. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

Thanx, grutech, I went all thru that remote stuff. I access home from work and work from home so I went for the Pro upgrade. I also can't get used-to Windows Mail either. I like Outlook Express just fine but we just can't leave well-enough alone!

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    When Microsoft drops support for Windows XP in April 2014, it's going to be a 12-1/2 year old operating system that's going to be missed by many.

I miss the simplicity of Windows XP and I also miss using Outlook Express.

Switching to Windows 7 forced me to install Microsoft Office 2003 so I can use its Outlook app for my ISP-based email.

Progress isn't always better, but sometimes we have no choice but to accept it. :eek:

----------------------------------------------------------

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

For Windows, it is one license per machine. You won't be able to use one license key on multiple machines. Thats why I run Linux - its free. And, some distros are less cpu hungry, perfect for older machines

6. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

Yes, thanx, I installed 2003 Office and now my Outlook Express takes forever to load and slows-down the entire machine.

I've heard a lot about Linux but never attempted it. How hard is it? How compatible is it with my existing apps?

7. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

Actually, I am an office work computer enthusiast. I love the work I can do with Excel and The Internet and other apps. I never play "games" on my computers. I'm not interested. Therefore, P4 Processors are fine for me. I beef-up the RAM a little and my machines "fly!"
    I am not alone, either, almost all of the XP lovers are in the same boat. MS keeps changing OSs so they can sell software. I had an old job that ran Windows 98, and it worked fine for me. Not only am I not motivated to upgrade but I hate the upgrades. I hate iTunes 11, every OS after XP, and MSOffice after 2000. Even though 2003 is a serial-number-less appl, it still has junk in it that hurts older apps. I prefer Excel Menu versions better than Icon versions and I try to "get back" to the old but, alas, compatibility of my spreadsheets with other workers presents a problem. I grudgingly use an .xlsx file format just so I can stay-in-step with others in my work-place network.
    As for paying hundreds for an OS; it's better to throw another $100 on top of it and buy a brand new machine with the OS installed. Does anyone disagree?

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I stopped buying new computers a couple of years ago and now buy only refurbished computers.

I have 3 Dell desktops and 1 Dell laptop that have served me faithfully so far.

I paid an average of $250.00 apiece for them, and they all came with a full version Windows XP SP3 or Windows 7 SP1 disc.

9. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

Refurbished DELLS? I expect to see Dell take a run at the market-share now that they are going Private. That's another pet-peeve of mine: all these corporations going PUBLIC. I believe it's the downfall of our economy! We need MORE corps that are not under the gun. When is enough profit, enough? More! More! is the call of the Stock Holder!
    I will take another look at Dell Refurbished. I have two Optiplex 745s that I bought brand new.

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

Linux is not difficult if you studied computers in college. If you didn't then it would take some learning. But with recent linux versions, you can get along pretty well without touching the command prompt. Like Ubuntu. And the good thing is that you can almost always find online howto guides for things you want to do. Because linux is open source and everything is done in a community fashion. And linux people want you to be able to help yourself.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm a couple of steps higher than the OptiPlex 745 and have the OptiPlex 755 and OptiPlex 780 minitower models.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090005

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice