1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buy Desktop Tower for Business

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crproud5, Oct 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crproud5

crproud5 Thread Starter

My families business currently has 3 desktop computer (all have 2 new monitors). I am not happy with how they're running, we keep on having issues with them running slow, printers not connecting properly and other little things.

I am just wanting to update the towers and need recommendations on what I should be getting?

All our storage is done through Dropbox, we use the internet a lot (Xero Accounting), Microsoft Outlook and Word, plus connecting a brother and dymo printer also a couple malware and virus programs installed.

On another note, we use Windows 8.1 and not sure if we should look at updating to Windows 10?

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Recommend Dell business, Windows 10.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

We must have 3~4000 dells at work and they do fine for a work environment.

SpywareDr likes this.
  4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

We used to print a LOT more than we do today. A few years ago, an average day would see 10~20,000 pages printed however now we get our flight releases, weather, etc electronically so we print very little [even high end hp laser printers did not last all that long]
    Other than printer failure, I do not recall ever having "lost" a printer.

5. tecknurd

tecknurd

Running a couple of anti-virus or malware programs will slow down any computer. You only need one. Pick one that doesn't interfere with your programs and any connected hardware. My computers run Windows 7 and the anti-virus program that I used is Microsoft Security Essentials. I have tried Bitdefender. It uses a proxy to protect your computer from a virus from being sent to your computer if a site that is accessed and is infected. Bitdefender slowed down my computer, so I switched to Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows 8 and Windows 10 named Microsoft Security Essentials as Defender. Use what Windows gives you and learn good computing practices when dealing with email, documents, and accessing websites. You can use 3rd party anti-virus software, but it may have some effect on your business from time to time.

I use a Brother HL-5140 that is connected to a computer running Linux. The printer is 12 years old. I'm using a Raspberry PI that runs CUPS to handle the printer. This is a home setup, but this outlasted other printers. The only problem that I have is Window Vista and above not supporting IP printing properly and multi-layer PDF document that has to flatten by enabling print as image option.

If you spend a lot of time using a web browser and you have many tabs that are opened, more memory might be needed. Upgrading RAM to 16 GB or more may help. I suggest that you monitor your resources as you work to find out what component that requires upgrading and what doesn't. If you buy a new computer without doing research what you need more, you will be back to the same problem. I suggest watching the following video. You can take as a grain of salt if you want to.
    Code:
    Linus Tech Tips - Is 8GB of RAM Enough In 2018?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnuNs_Nu46Q

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice