1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buy now, upgrade later help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TerrellP, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerrellP

TerrellP Thread Starter

First, I understand buying a computer now and upgrading graphics card later will cost more, all I can do though, don't have enough cash to buy computer with good card, don't have time to build, and need computer quick.

Anyway, my question is....

I have about $600-$650, found computers with good processors and plenty of RAM, but integrated graphics. What do I need to look for to make adding graphics card later easier. Any certain expansion slots I have to make sure are available, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've never installed a graphics card before.

Thnx

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You have to make sure that the system has a good power supply, PCI-Express x16 slot are standard now. If you buying a brand name pre-built system then when you choose to upgrade the graphics cad also budget for a new quality power supply. There are few if any computers in your price range from the big manufacturer's that will have a decent power supply.

Or you could simply build your own or have a local shop build you a custom system and get the system you want, maybe even with the graphics card, for $650 or close to that and avoid the pre-built junk from the start. Without a graphics cards its easy to get a decent system for $600-$650. With a graphics cards a little harder depending on what performance level you want to be at, and if you want a monitor in that price then its very hard but what you'll get from a quality custom system is QUALITY.

If you want parts priced let us know, and let us know what the general specs or requirements are.

3. TerrellP

TerrellP Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate the help. I'll see what a local shop can do before I buy.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice