1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buying a Bike

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by TechGuy, Jul 10, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    Heather and I want to get some bikes -- any opinions on where to go or what to look at? We're just going to go on weekends, mostly in town or on some local bike trails (most, but not all, are paved).

We went to Dick's Sporting Goods, but found little assistance and a surprisingly small selection (in my opinion). We stopped at a well-known local bike shop that was glad to help us, seemed interested in making sure we had the right fit, etc -- but the bikes were $400 each, a good bit more than we were planning to spend, but maybe it's worth it to have things right?

2. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

I got William's at K-mart! :D

3. trekguy

trekguy

I guess I would have to recommend a Trek hybrid. (Surprise :D ) Comfortable upright riding position, fairly narrow tires between 60-80 psi for less rolling resistance...

$400 may sound like a lot, but the quality is well worth it... if you buy a cheap, heavy bike... you won't ride it.

If you're not comfortable with fixing/adjusting bikes, the bike shop would be a good idea. There will be adjustments to brake/shifter cables, brake pads, wheel truing, flat tires....

Also, Trek lower end hybrids are a bit less expensive... under $300... good quality, just a bit heavier.

Have fun!

4. angelize56

Mike: Do you fly much these days? :)

And yes...have fun the two of you!! :)

5. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    Trek Hybrid was exactly what he was trying to sell us -- said that the 7100 would be a good starter for us, but that he could only get Heather's size in 7200. (I think that's right, but Heather has the booklet he gave us.)

6. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    Angel, I just flew about a month ago, but that's too long -- but, as you probably know, we had a lot of rain here over the last few weeks (lost two local parks to flooding), so that didn't help my flying schedule any. ;)

7. angelize56

I saw your rain! :eek: My brother and his wife are going on vacation to PA in August...to visit some Amish people! :)

Do you fly often? I've never been in a plane...one of my fears is flying! :eek: ;)

8. trekguy

trekguy

Both nice bikes. (y) The 7200 is gonna have one more gear than the 7100... she may leave you in the dust on a long downhill. ;) Otherwise, they look similar.

Can't go wrong with either.... immho. (y)

9. Mulderator

Mulderator

I have two mountain bikes--one is a full suspension Cannondale, $3,200 retail (although I got it for much less at Costco on a ridiculous deal for $1,399) and a hard tail (front shocks only) Specialized $1,200. The cost of bikes essentially boils down to weight as well as quality. My bikes weigh in the neighborhood of 24 to 25 pounds--very light for mountain bikes.

At $400 you will be getting yourself a very heavy bike with lower end components. But if all you are going to do is pedal around at a few miles an hour looking at sites, then it really doesn't matter. If you are going to come hauling arse down a steep trail at 15 mph (sounds slow, but that's fast on a bike), then a $400 bike ain't gonna cut it--the bike will be plenty strong enough, but I assume these bikes have no supension, so you will be bounced around like sneaker in a dryer and you will likely end up in the hospital.

If you want to get Bikes at a large retailer at signficant discount, try:

http://www.performancebike.com/inform/store_locations.cfm#pennsylvania

Trek makes nice bikes, but I prefer Specialized.

10. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

My sister and I got ours at Target. :) We use them exactly for what you're looking for.
    We ride through neighborhoods, into town, and the bike trails they have around Long Island. Some parts of those are not paved, but the bikes ride very well.
    They are made by Magna. And at Target, they have bike sizing charts which definitely helped when trying to pick out the correct one.
    The prices start at about $69.99.

11. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    So Mulder says we should get a $3000 bike and Cheeseball says $100. :p ;)

12. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    We have a store in our area called "Play it again Sports" and they handle used and often
    good quality equipment, including Trek bikes. Not sure if you have anything like that, but
    if so, it's probably worth a look.

13. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

lol, for you right in the middle is just about right. At $100 (about the cost of my bike) you would have the same problems I do. Although I got a nice suspension on both front and back, I also got the spokes breaking off, the breaks locking up, the derailleurs falling apart- and this is a few months after I bought it. If I had the money I would split for a $600 Mountain bike, not tour-de-France material like Mulders but of a high enough quality for getting my butt around for a few years. I think for what your going to do the $400 to $600 price range would be best

14. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

Geeezzzz......get two motorcycles and have some real fun.....such as running bicycles off the trial. ;)

15. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    I bet you can go a lot further without getting tired, too! ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice