Buying a bundle

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nvino

Hi everyone first post and I know its pretty late but I don't really have a timeline for this so no rush on the information. I just want to break down the situation real quick and hopefully someone a little more experienced could lend their opinion.

I bought an Ibuypower Cyberpower PC around 2011/12 and I'm ready to upgrade her. I found a bundle deal that looks like this:

• 1 × GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 6 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    Item #: N82E16813128627

• 1 × AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8-Core 3.5 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W FD8320FRHKBOX Desktop Processor
    Item #: N82E16819113285

• 1 × HyperX Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model HX316C10FBK2/16
    Item #: N82E16820104445

• 1 × Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MKNSSDEC240GB
    Item #: N82E16820226679
    For about 380 US dollars.
Price isn't really a problem but I'm trying to be reasonable. I just have a few questions:

1. Will a 500w power supply be enough to run this set up? I also have a cd-rw drive and an aftermarket graphics card(If you can call it that). It's an AMD R7 240A.

2. My understanding is that I'll only have to mount the CPU to motherboard. Install the RAM, SSD, and my old video card to the motherboard and hook up all the wires. Then install my OS and get all my drivers. Is there anything I'm overlooking or completely missing?

3. Are there any compatibility issues that I will need to worry about with my Disk drive or power supply?

4. Would you recommend a better setup for around the same price or does it exist? Are there any changes you would make ?

Sorry if I'm way off. Its 11:35 at night and I've never build my own computer or replaced a motherboard. I don't really know who else to ask and don't want to waste 400 dollars on nothing. I am/was an electronics technician in the military and a diesel mechanic. I'm well equipped mentally and tool wise to attempt any repair or installation so any help or advice would be appreciated.

I'm also reading the overclocking thread on this site and just curious if its worth doing as that's something else I've never attempted. Any stories, input, advice, insults, or opinions are welcome and I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks guys.

Edit: I removed a part about applying a thermal paste in-between the fan and CPU. I watched an unboxing of the fx-8320 and saw that in comes attached with the fan/heatsink.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online