1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Buying a docking station/port replicator for laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MarkoPancirov, Nov 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MarkoPancirov

MarkoPancirov Thread Starter

I am trying to build the following setup:
    1) Asus laptop (TUF gaming series FX504 with 1 hdmi port), Windows 10
    1) 2 or 3 high resolution external monitors connected to laptop via a docking station
    3) Multiple peripherals like keyboard, mouse, speakers etc.

I did a lot of research about docking stations to buy but I can't seem to find the one that I need. The things that I would like my docking stations to support are:
    1) 2 or 3 external monitors
    2) many usb ports
    3) high performance

I am also not sure about the performance between docking stations that connect to the laptop via USB vs docking stations that connect directly to laptop ports, is there a performance difference? Am I confusing the port replicator with the docking station here?

I am also confused about the hdmi, vga and other graphical ports. My laptop has only 1 hdmi port so what's the appropriate docking station to buy and can I for example connect external monitors with graphical ports other than hdmi to the docking station and then connect the docking station to the laptop's hdmi or usb if it's a docking station that connects to the laptop via usb?

I would also like to just use the external monitors and not use the laptop display. Some people on the forums say that this can be done by changing the power settings - set "Choose what closing the lid does" to not sleep or shut down the laptop while the lid is closed and instead leave it running. Is this correct?

If someone could please tell me specific docking stations that I could buy for my specific setup.

Thank you in advance

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I found one result.

MarkoPancirov likes this.
  3. MarkoPancirov

MarkoPancirov Thread Starter

Thank you. I am wondering if the same would happen with a different dock. Do all docks have their own graphics chip? If I buy the dock that connects directly to the laptop's hdmi output (not with USB), would that solve the problem mentioned in the article? This subject is way above my knowledge about these things but I still have a feeling that there should be a way to transform a gaming laptop to a gaming PC with the use of a dock or something similar. It would be so strange that this cannot be done.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Since there are no posts that I could find of anyone using a docking station with your model laptop, I have no idea.

Usually docking stations come with business grade laptops and are offered by the laptop manufacturer.

Truthfully, I have no contact with the business world (I'm a retired secondary math teacher) but I don't see much mentioned about them so I think they are not used much today.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!