1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buying a hardware RAID controller

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jeorge_kabbi, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeorge_kabbi

jeorge_kabbi Thread Starter

i have this motherboard : http://www.msi.com/product/mb/790FX-GD70.html
    and 2 SSD 128GB hard drives connected to the motherboard in RAID0 used as a C drive. i have another i TB hard drive used for data.

my problem : Linux and many other boot disks does not "see" the hard drive because it is a "software raid" thus a driver is needed.

my proposed solution : buy a 4-port sata3 hardware RAID controller (i think its also known as thick raid) so that:

1- i can connect my 2 drives and have the option to expand that to 4 drives in the future (rebuilding the raid needed i know).

2-the sata 3 will be backward compatible with sata2 (both front and back ends) so i can use the same RAID controller in my next computer.
    3- it will work with "anything" without any drivers. in other words the motherboard will think that it is simply a single hard drive is connected to it.

my question is :
    is #1 ,#2 and #3 mentioned above true ? and if so shall i get your kind advise regarding what controller i could buy (budget around 400 USD)

thank you

2. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

1,2, and 3 are all true.

I don't know why you'd want to stripe those drives anyway; when you stripe, then losing one drive results in loss of all data on the RAID. Having two drives doubles your chance of a drive failure. I doubt you need or will even notice the increase in speed that striping them will give you.

But it is your choice to make.

If I were you, I would not buy a SATA RAID controller, I would buy an SAS RAID controller that supported SATA (most do). Since you are performance oriented, this would position you to use high-performance SAS drives if you wanted to do it. You'll get more GiB/buck than with SSDs, they'll probably be more reliable than SSDs and, while they won't be as fast as SSDs, they'll certainly be faster than SATA.

3. jeorge_kabbi

jeorge_kabbi Thread Starter

thankx mate

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!