1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buying a laptop!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pizzazboy, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pizzazboy

pizzazboy Thread Starter

Hello, I am buying a laptop for Black Friday, meaning price is not so much of an issue. I would like to know features that i absolutely need. I am using it mainly for home use, and I will mainly use it as a multimedia laptop. I would like a 13-15 inch screen. I heard 4GB of RAM is sufficient. However, I have no clue what a processor does or which one is good. Can anyone help me on what features I need, and/or suggest a good laptop?

2. damien13

damien13

for processors look for Intel or AMD they are the best for a laptop 4 gigabites of ram is good for a laptop and also get one with a DVD R\RW cd drive if youre going to do any burning usually its standard in all computers now. The Intel Core i7 is a really great processor Im building my gaming computer and thats what Im putting in mine they are super fast. Webcams are usually in most laptops now too so i think and hope this helps you, feel free to ask me any more questions you have.

- damien13

3. pizzazboy

pizzazboy Thread Starter

Thanks damien, I'm not really looking for gaming setups, I'll probably play minecraft a little, but that's the most i'm gonna play. I did some research and came up with some new features, tell me if they sound good or not :D. Intel i5 or AMD 6 or 8 processor. SSD storage (but i don't really know what that means). Can you tell me the differences between storage capacity, flash storage, and anything related to storage. Kind of a noob when it comes to computer and laptop features...

4. pizzazboy

pizzazboy Thread Starter

Also, I've been using a Mac for the past several years, so I've never encountered a virus. Any tips on avoiding or getting rid of one?

5. damien13

damien13

For a virus stop it before it starts buy a program off amazon.com called webroot. it works on whats called a cloud far back in the internet so it will stop the virus befor it gets there. And the setups i was telling you about with the core i7 come in most new computers. Your storage capacity is RAM (random access memory) and hard drive capacity. I perfer Flash drives the plug in to the usb ports and work as memory sticks and they are cheep like 64 gigs for 30 bucks im in las vegas so i dont how much they are where you live. But with 64 gigs i can store about 50 basic full windows xp operating systems on it you should only need about 16 gigs at most. I am a programmer so i need big Flash drives. Also they help keep your operating system clean so you dont overload it and crash. Flash drives are Flash storage for future reference. :)

6. damien13

damien13

viruses are a pain to get rid of. I just bought a computer with a virus on it that blocks the entire operating system i cant do anything but boot up and stare at it until i find the viruses operating files. BIG PAIN IN THE REAR!!

7. pizzazboy

pizzazboy Thread Starter

Still not understanding that storage thing. Can I get a small HDD storage thing, and buy a giant external hard drive?

8. pizzazboy

pizzazboy Thread Starter

Also, can I get a price range of what these features would cost me? Not apple, overpriced sons of....

9. damien13

damien13

no apple is great but your paying for "Apple" the logo and name. Best Buy offers a great pay plan my cousin got a really nice Toshiba for 400 bucks and pays bi weekly on it. Also if you have a electronics store called Frys by where you live they also have good laptops for cheap. And they have a warranty that comes with it if it stops working and you have their warranty they will give you new one in a box no questions or fees asked! I have done it i know from expirence. You should check out their website at frys.com Also yes you can get a small HDD and large Flash storage it would actually be the best idea. People really dont need one terobite of hard drive for a computer its insane! most video games arent even 5gigs unless youre a very serious gamer playin world of warcraft or something. Never get a 1TB drive it is absolutley unneeded. Let me know if you have anymore questions im glad to help! :)

10. pizzazboy

pizzazboy Thread Starter

Someone told me toshiba was very bad. I also read somewhere Asus, Sony, and samsung are very reliable and run well. I'm not going to be playing any games on it, except for online flash games rarely. Mainly going to be using it for documents, movies, watching sports, and web surfing. Thus, I don't know whether the processor should be an intel i5 or maybe a third gen i3. Also, should I stick with windows 7?

11. jamesx121

jamesx121

if you want to watch movies then you would prefer a 17inch screen--
    i would stay with a I-5 if you can
    the I-7 will be a battery hog if you plan on using the laptop a lot, without plugging into wall

you don't really need a SSD drive but a lot of them come with them now

most of the time a thumb drive or flash drive looks like
    a stick of gum and you slide it in to a USB port

they come from 4GB to 64GB capacity and are great for transferring files, pictures, music
    from one computer to another.

12. pizzazboy

pizzazboy Thread Starter

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've merged your threads here. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

14. jamesx121

jamesx121

I realy like the Lenovo from Best Buy.

only thing sucks is laptop manufactures are
    already installing Windows 8 in them.

15. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Personally I would go with an i5 CPU if it is within your price range. You don't need i7 level of processing power based on your stated usage and the i5 has built in GPU support so will help to provide a bit of a boost to the GPU for general task. This is useful in a general purpose laptop.

4Gb of RAM is fine in my opinion, although if you get 8Gb at little extra cost I would take the option.

Don't get too worked up on the virus issues. With simple house keeping, being aware of the sites you visit and the emails you open etc will go a long way to helping defend yourself. You do not need to buy anything in my opinion, there are plenty of free antivirus programs and the like that are perfectly good for the home user. The majority of virus infections still occur due to users opening random emails or visiting 'dodgy' websites. In over a decade of computing, gaming and internet use I still don't think I have hit double figures for the amount of viruses I have had to deal with on my own machine. My kids are a different matter, they both are heavy users of social media, install loads and loads of junk and never manage their email properly so leave themselves wide open.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1075336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice