1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buying a Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by captainbaldo, Feb 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. captainbaldo

captainbaldo Thread Starter

Hey all,

I've gotta buy a Laptop for Work and School, and I'm thinking about buying from the Home Shopping Network webpage since I can split it into 5 payments. I know HSN isn't the cheapest place to buy from, but the split payments really helps since my credit is only so-so (of course if you have any suggestions for other sites that split up payment feel free to tell me!).

The question I have is, which one should I get? I've never been a big fan of pre-mades, but I really don't know enough to build my own laptop, and I also heard its not like building a desktop price-wise -- I heard it actually costs more to build your own laptop. Anyway, they only have two brands, Compaq and Ashton Digital...which would you suggest? By the way, I really want a DVD drive, but other than that I don't really care...
    I'm not a big fan of Intel in general, but I don't know much about their mobile products.

Any input would be helpful!

http://www.hsn.com/content/sf/dept/cat/default.asp?sz=6&sf=EC&dept=EC019&cat=EC051

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Just my two centavos, everyone who I've tried talking out of buying a Compaq laptop, and they bought one anyway, have always been sorry.

Never heard of the other model, would stay away from that one based solely on that reason.

Dell or Gateway would be what I'd be looking at :)

Oh, and Intel is just the chip inside......didn't you say somewhere you worked for either Dell or Gateway?????

3. gethedge

gethedge

I would also recoment staying away from compaq. More advise is difficult to give with a lack of knowledge for your exact usages. Also, rather that HSN, you could get good financing at many computer stores if you have decent credit, and HSN is usually way overpriced

4. captainbaldo

Yeah, I do tech support for Gateway, but I work for an outsourcer, so I don't get an Employee Discount :(

As far as the whole HSN thing, I guess I didn't point out the fact that my credit pretty much won't allow me to get any regular financing. I know their prices suck, but I'm not going to jump in and buy one until I determine its the last option I have. I've never been a big fan of Compaq , but I didn't know how good their laptops were -- thanks for the input.

Anyway, I don't need the laptop for anything graphic-intensive or anything like that, but I would like to have a decent video capability just incase I would feel like playing a 3d game on it. I definitely want a DVD drive on it just so my wife can watch movies on it when we go on trips. I also need it to be capable of running Powerpoint XP pretty smoothly. I don't need any software at all including an OS, but I know its kinda hard to find a laptop without ANY software at all. I say I don't really want anything too fancy, but I know if its not at least about 900Mhz I'll start complaining that its too slow after a month or so.

5. active95

active95

i would go with compaq for the simple reason that they will be around if you need parts replacement ( ask me about the laptop screen that i cracked , lol ) At least Compaq did send me a replacement one.
    True the tech support is crappy , but then again you're a techsupportguy member so who needs tech support :D
    If you really want decent 3d get a Dell Inspirion 8100 with a Geforce 2Go :D.

6. captainbaldo

I do have a buddy that works for Dell...I think he gets some sort of discount, so I might be able to work something out with him.

Take this as a lesson, kids...when you first start out college and they offer you that free t-shirt if you'd just apply for that credit card...JUST SAY NO. Or at least don't do like I did and get about 6 or 7 t-shirts...;)

By the way...I know Intel is just a chip...I was referring to the difference with a Intel mobile processor and an Intel desktop processor. I've always liked AMD better in the desktop department, just not too familiar with laptop processors...thats all I meant

7. captainbaldo

Well, I still don't have my new laptop yet...due to the high and mighty dollar. BUT, due to Uncle Sam's generosity, <INSERT ARGUMENT HERE> I will be able to afford one shortly. I'm still thinking about the HSN laptop (the Ashton Digital one -- I've read a few reviews about them and they seem pretty good) for financing reasons, or I might go with one of the new Gateways -- they look PURDY. Plus I know I can get my replacement parts quickly and easily! :)

--Cap

8. RobOman

RobOman Temporarily Banned

I have recently worked on two compaq laptops, They had different problems but both with the same results, They needed new mother Boards. I looked around and the only place I could find the boards were at the compaq web site. Well the problem is that the boards cost used was $598.00. needless to say both customers chose to just buy new computers.

after that I looked around for parts for other laptops and was getting the same results.

end of story, If you get a laptop you should shop warrenties. the longer the better if they are all inclusive ie. to replace major parts.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/68702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice