1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buying a laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shanus180, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shanus180

shanus180 Thread Starter

Im going to be buying a laptop today but i cant decide on which company to go with after a long frustrating thing of research.

Ive looked at alienware but there way to overpriced

ibuypower or cyberpower but ive heard that they are poorly built and havnt heard good things about them.

could someone enlighten me or give me a good company to buy a laptop for gaming from 1300 to 1600 thanks

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would say HP or Lenovo.

3. Darkicon

Darkicon

I'd have to agree with Rich. Lenovo and HP make excellent laptops, as does Sony, but Sony's good Vaios are pretty expensive.

You can customize and buy your own laptop from Vigor Gaming, they are decently priced and the default hardware is pretty good.

Heres their default Vigor Artorius specs for $1479.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 2M Cache, 800MHz FSB processor
    1GB Corsair PC2-5300 RAM
    nVidia GeForce Go 8600GT 512MB video card
    Windows Vista Home Basic
    1 Year Warranty

More info on their site:
    http://www.vigorgaming.com/product/config_artoriuscl.html

4. EnfoToad

EnfoToad

Here is what I think. It all depends on your needs (...).
    HP (multimedia)
    Lenovo (business/ physically tough)
    Apple (if you want Mac and Windows)
    Toshiba (everyday simple task)
    Sony (high end version of HP and Lenovo)

5. help me please

help me please

if i were you, i would avoid HP.
    long story short, my one has gone wrong twice in 6 months, yhe first time was a graphics chip failure. the second time, was a day later, well, later that evening, because they didnt put it back together properly (heatsink fan was non-functioning) and they covered it up by claiming on the repair form, that it was a broken heatsink.that made 4 weeks away for repair, for a notebook that was only 3 months old. i dont use it now. also, their support is useless. just have a look at the attached email in txt format and youll see what i mean.

that "Vigor Artorius" sounds like the one to buy :D

Attached Files:

6. help me please

help me please

it gets worse on the part of HP, just look at this (add it to the e-mail attached in my first post in this thread):

Thank you for writing back.

At this instance, I would like to inform you that, the remote do need any specific drivers and the cause of the issue for the remote not working might be due to the difference on the frequencies.

The frequency of the remote and the desktop that you are using need to be same. If the frequency differs then the remote will not be working.

I would also like to inform you that, the frequency of the notebook and the remote might be same. That is the reason the remote worked with the notebook.

Hope the information provided was helpful with regard to your concern. If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Prescott

HP Total Care

***Do Not Delete Service Ticket Number***
    {ticketno:[8011571877]}
    ***Do Not Delete Service Ticket Number***

Our advice is strictly limited to the question(s) asked and is based on the information provided to us. HP does not assume any responsibility or liability for the advice given and shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages in connection with the use of this information. Always back up your data.
    For more information, including technical information updates, please visit our Web site at http://www.hp.com/support.

-----Original Message-----
    Date: 05/10/2008 16:46:14 EST
    To: [email protected]
    Cc:
    Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HP Pavilion dv9574ea Notebook

i want to use this for ANOTHER COMPUTER that is NOT A NOTEBOOK, and i know that the receiver for the remote WILL work with other computers, because i have used with another vista desktop, that was built by the owner, with an OEM vista home premium, and had no HP branding what-so-ever.
    i do not own the vista desktop, and do not own a copy of vista, other than the one installed on my notepad.
    i need the xp driver for the remote receiver (model OVU422000/06 HP P/N: 5070-2854), which i know exists, becausei know somebody who has an HP pavilion notebook that shipped with the same receiver, but had XP media center installed.
    as you can see by the length of this e-mail, this is unacceptable for a request for a piece of software that should be on the hp support site anyway.

makes you sick eh? dont know what they are doing lol

7. Darkicon

Darkicon

I would call HP for better assistance. Emailing them is usually worthless/time consuming.

I've used HP computers and other hardware for ages now and never had any major problems with them, and when I did have a problem, I just called them and they took care of it pretty easily. I never recommend emailing a company with a problem, as I said it's worthless and time consuming most of the time.

8. EnfoToad

EnfoToad

I own a HP laptop. The only thing I hate about the overall HP laptops is the heat produced on bottom and the trash software. The customer service was great and I didn't spend extra for the support!

9. Compiler

Compiler

Alienware has a gaming notebook for about $1400 with a GF8700 GPU... I'd go for that.

10. jamesx121

jamesx121

the main question is how much abuse is your laptop expected to take??

just set on table at home or in the work environment???
    I drive a large truck for a living . so my HP Pavilion has to endure a lot of vibration running down the road.
    I bought a padded travel case for (75$) it to minimize the bouncing and vibration as much as
    possible.
    but I still know besides Army Field Maneuvers this is the worst environment for a laptop.
    dust,dirt,vibration,and bouching are a everyday occurrence

so I bought as much insurance for it as I could find/afford.
    Circuit City will repair it for 2 years even if the damage is my own fault.

at Best Buy they won't cover it if the damage is your fault

11. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

shanus180,
    quote:
    could someone enlighten me or give me a good company to buy a laptop for gaming from 1300 to 1600 thanks
    is there a specific reason you need to 'game' on the laptop?
    a student maybe?
    what kind of games?
    people have problems playing 'krysis' even on desktops,
    'gaming laptop' = 'oxymoron' = 'deafening silence'
    if you need a decent laptop,
    that's a different question,
    B - U - T,
    which is best, ford - chevy - dodge? amd - intel ?
    jamesx121 asked a very pertinent question,
    durability and satisfaction,
    personally, i like ibm / lenova, t series,
    also had a howard,
    was like timex,
    could just about throw that thing out the window at 100 mph,
    and keep on tickin'

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/711160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice