1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buying a Laptop!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by UnD3R0aTh, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. UnD3R0aTh

UnD3R0aTh Thread Starter

Hi,

my sister asked for my opinion the other day, she wanna buy a laptop, i honestly havent bought one before and i know very little about them, i actually i dont like them at all =P, anyway, she want something in the range of 450USD, she need it for basic stuff like microsoft office, internet browsing, something to carry with her to work, blah blah (i wasnt really listening =P), i know there are a lot of brands out there, hp, dell, acer..etc which one do you recommend? and what should i know about laptops before i buy one? thx :)

2. hulkinator

hulkinator

You should know everything :)

It might be worth considering used. For $450 you can get a real nice used business-grade laptop that will hold up better than the cheap brands you can buy new for $450. IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads, Dell Inspirons, Toshiba Tecras are all upper-grade machines.

If you want new I'd first recommend a Lenovo IdeaPad. They aren't built as well as ThinkPads but far better than HP's, Dell's, Acer's, eMachines entry-level models. They make pretty good laptops with good features for the prices.

As far as specs go it won't really matter for those sorts of tasks. I have a nine-year-old desktop with 192 MB of RAM and a 633 MHz processor that will handle web and Office. It's not fast but it works.

3. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Do you have a best buy in your area?
    Deals come and go there all the time.
    I bought a dell laptop from there last year
    500 bucks...to have built the same laptop from dell was close to 1200
    Do I like it?.for the most part its ok
    good display
    all the ports i will ever need.
    keys could be a little softer
    it runs cool....this is very important with a notebook

4. UnD3R0aTh

UnD3R0aTh Thread Starter

nope, no best buy here, and i'd rather buy a new one instead, i know i have very little money but im not looking for something fancy, in other words, what is the best bang for my buck? :p

5. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

6. Hughv

Hughv

7. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

8. UnD3R0aTh

UnD3R0aTh Thread Starter

thx for all your replies, but i have a question! what is the most important thing in a laptop? is it the processor, the hard disk, the rams, the video card..etc? and which is upgradeable? also, is intel atom fast? i might get a notebook, i think it will suit her better and they are cheaper!

9. Hughv

Hughv

I love my 9" netbook for light weight and portability, but I wouldn't want to do any serious computing on such a small screen and keyboard.
    The 12" netbooks might suit, but then you're approaching notebook size, weight and cost.

10. hulkinator

hulkinator

I personally would stay as far from Best Buy as possible. They are scammers. They push extended warranties that they don't honor and if you return anything there is a 15% restocking fee. Google "Best Buy scams" and you'll get a lot of pertinent results.

The most important parts of a laptop that you need to worry about are the price, size, and dependability. For web browsing and Office you don't need any more horsepower than any new *book will provide. Go to some office stores (even Best Buy) to try out various sizes and models, but then I'd suggest buying online from the manufacturer. I know that Asus and Lenovo make very good products (both netbooks and notebooks). Personally I've had trouble with HP and I feel their build quality isn't very good- most of their laptops are horribly flimsy. And friends don't let friends buy a Dell. They make good desktops but not notebooks, unless you pay the premium for a Latitude.

Most laptop components are not upgradable. Period. You can usually ad more RAM and change the hard disk, but your options end there. That's what desktops are for.

11. wtrode

wtrode

You say you want a brand new laptop but you have little money. Sorry my friend but you're going to have to make some sacrifices.

Check out the Dell Inspiron E1505 on eBay. You can pick one of those up for approx $325. They come with a dual core processor, 15" screen, 2 GB memory, good size hard drive. Two years ago that was a $2000 machine. No no more for the best bang for your buck ... so to say.

12. thisjrocks

thisjrocks

FOr something cheap and entry level you can buy a new one at walmart for 398. It doesn't have the biggest hard drive or fastest processor but it is quite serviceable. Heck it is bigger and better than the Dell i paid 1200 for two years ago.

13. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Best buy service does suck I know personally.
    they do have some great deals however

14. Compiler

Compiler

Heres one at Walmart... $1 shipping, $448

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11090778

Its a basic computer and quite a bit faster than the $350 systems... but this model maybe on sale at Walmart for $300 or so ;)

Keep in mind, for $450 - you're getting cheap... don't expect a speed demond. Anything of quality if going to be in the $600~800 for basic / light gaming and $1000~2000 for top end units.

That notebook includes upgrade to Windows7 which is an important thing to have.

Here is a good article on sub -$500 notebooks:
    http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=3612

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you don't want an extended warranty, don't buy one. It's not a scam if you don't buy it. Of course they push them. That's how they make money, get bonuses, etc. It's called capitalism. Best Buy doesn't have the market cornered on that. Even Newegg offers extended warranties.

Restocking fees are common on opened computer hardware.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/847954

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice