1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buying a motherboard -advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MWH, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MWH

MWH Thread Starter

I am fairly new to this board and need some advice. It looks like I will be needing to replace a motherboard. It is my son's computer and he just spent $75 to have a repairman tell him his MB was shot and a new one would cost $375 plus labor. Needless to say, I brought it home and am trying to fix it myself.
    The computer is a HP Pavilion Model #6740C with an Intel Celeron 667 MHz; Socket 370 with an Intel 810 chipset. What else do I need to know in order to find the correct fit for this computer? Does anyone have any suggestions where I might find a motherboard for my HP that is not real expensive? I have looked at several sites but haven't been able to find the right one yet. I'm not sure what brand the MB is. Any suggestions??

2. Sponsor

3. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

4. MWH

MWH Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the two you suggested but looking at the pics of them, I'm not sure if they will fit the case of my Hewlett Packard Pavilion 6740C. The CS35-TC looked more compatible than the first one. Will I have to buy a MB through HP to get one that will fit?

5. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

No I don't think you would have to. If your case is small, you would need a micro atx motherboard like the CS35-TC probably.

But for some reason, you had to get a new motherboard from HP because of size, it would be cheaper to get a new case instead.

There are lots of boards you could get. I was assuming you still wanted to use the celeron that is currently in there.

I have a DFI p2xbl myself and the board is damn stable. A guy I know that builds computers always uses dfi boards to build them. He has had good luck with them.

IF you can, get the model number off the motherboard and then we can find out who actually made the board. Then we can find the specs on it so you know for sure, what size board to get and so forth.

HPs uses asus boards a lot so it might be one of those.

also, has anything been upgrade to that computer? Did you still want to use a built in video on the motherboard or use an agp card? Same for audio?

6. MWH

MWH Thread Starter

Yes you are right that it probably will require a smaller board such as the micro ATX. I measured the board & it was like 9" X 9 3/8" (approx.) I know that the BIOS is a Phoenix and from what I have read they are one of the hardest to use the settings string to determine who made the motherboard. I have not found the model # on the board. I did see a strip with a bar code and some numbers on it, but do not know if it is the model #.

I don't plan to get real fancy with the next board, just a good one to get it up and running again. I may sell it to recoup some of the expense that my son incurred in buying a new one. I will just use the built in video & audio that is on the board. Nothing has been upgraded to the computer. The dfi board sounds like it would perform well.

I appreciate your replys, and maybe with your help we can find a board that will bolt in the HP case that I have. Thanks for the tip on ascu who made a lot of HP boards. The computer is a little over 1 year old. The HD went out less than a year, now the motherboard. I'm not thinking too much of HP right now.

7. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

standard micro atx form factor is 245mm x 240mm which is basically

9.65 in x 9.44 in

Which is basically what you measured.

So you would need a micro atx board.

What's the rating on your power supply?

Is the sound built in too or a pci card.?

HOw about the modem, is that built in or is t a pci or amr modem.

The specs say 1 pci slot is filled, what's in it?

8. MWH

MWH Thread Starter

I may not have to buy a motherboard afterall. I decided last night that I didn't have anything to lose so I went into Device Manager and basically removed about everything except the HD because I thought there was a chance that some device might have gone bad and was causing the computer to load only in Safe Mode. I then shut it off and opened up the case and removed everything in the PCI slots and disconnected the CDrom and floppy drive and then rebooted and then Windows 98 detected everything and loaded re-installed all the drivers and devices, etc. with no problem. Can you believe that? I then started to re-install devices back one by one and began with the phone modem. When I put it back in and restarted it would not load windows and went back to the Safe Mode screen. So obviously something is going on with the modem. I removed it and re-did everything as I did earlier and restarted it and it loads up just fine. So I don't know if it is the modem or if something is wrong with the PCI slot that it fits in; I will check on that next and see what happens.

9. BML

BML

Well, it's quite cheap to replace the modem than the motherboard!

I also have an HP w/celery processor and found this out when I looked at upgrading. You can't upgrade the motherboard without a new case. You can buy a new one from HP - it'll be the exact same as you have - but I looked at HPs prices and man, they are EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your $375 quote isn't far off if he would buy from HP.

Glad you figured it all out! Seems like your repairman needed to learn a few things as well!

10. MWH

MWH Thread Starter

Thanks for your message. You are exactly right about a modem being cheaper than a MB. I could not find anything on HP's Website about buying a motherboard. Isn't that just like some companies? Something tears up and you have to replace more than you should. I had not heard that the MB could not be bought w/o the case, but it would not surprise me. That is absolutely absurd. Regarding the repairman, you are right!! And he is supposed to be an authorized Hewlett Packard repair shop. Boy oh boy. I plan to go back when I can and tell him what I have found and see if I can't plead my son's case and get some of that $75 he charged to diagnose that the MB was shot!! We'll see.....

11. BML

BML

When i was checking into motherboards for my computer i found the section on HP where they have "replacement parts" and they do indeed list the motherboard for my model.

They don't tell you that upfront..that you can only upgrade certain components like RAM. if they made their boards interchangeable then nobody would buy a new HP when they could simply buy a discounted price MB!

The quality of people they're hiring today in some tech type jobs is low. They opened a new CompUSA near me and I was browsing over there, and would you believe the "sales" guy didn't know what DDR RAM was, and had never heard of the Athlon XP CPU? he thought I meant "windows XP".!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60507