1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buying A New Graphic Card + Power Supply ( Need Help )

Discussion in 'Games' started by lllAE86lll, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lllAE86lll

lllAE86lll Thread Starter

Hello.
    I am deciding that is time to update my graphic card and my power supply. I have some question and some help from you to help me decide to get the latest and good graphic card on a good money budget value.

My resolution is 1440x900. I play several games and looking for a graphic card that can at least handle with high settings at this resolution.
    I did some research and found a couple of review and feedback about ATI 5750. My question is, is this card worth the money for gaming? The game i usually play is MW2 (the one i have trouble playing max settings with my current graphic card) TF2, League of Legends, and possibly the new upcoming game Call of Duty Blackops.

Will ATI 5750 worth the money and run all my games smooth or there is another better graphic card out there that outperforms this one?
    Currently i also need to uppgrade to a new power supply. Any recommendation of a power supply and a graphic card?

My money budget is up to $250 max for both items.

Any help and comment will really appreciate it.

Thanks

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

3. SoFarAway

SoFarAway

It's a pretty good graphics card, but according to your PC you can find a better one. What kind of card do you have now?

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

I had to keep it within the budget they set.
    Pretty much anything higher would break the budget.

5. lllAE86lll

As of now i have XFX 9400 GT and i dont have a dell setup, i have an antec 300 as a case.

A few people recommended me http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130562

And benchmark were superior then the 5770, but my question is. Which power supply should i get to run this graphic card and for future proof just in case i update other components.

6. SoFarAway

SoFarAway

You'll want a power supply that is good enough to be compatible with the graphics card. I like the graphics card you linked in the TS.
    http://computershopper.com/feature/2010-ultimate-guide-how-to-buy-a-pc-power-supply/(page)/10 those are high end Power supplies, a bit pricey but powerful.

Here's a budget link considering your 200 dollar budget http://computershopper.com/feature/2010-ultimate-guide-how-to-buy-a-pc-power-supply/(page)/8 but it might be hard to find one better than yours now.

And finally mid range, you might find something good here. http://computershopper.com/feature/2010-ultimate-guide-how-to-buy-a-pc-power-supply/(page)/9

Good luck.

Also, I glanced a little at newegg and saw some pretty good models.

7. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

What kind of power supply do you currently have? Why do you need to upgrade it?

8. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

The power supply I listed should be enough for any
    single card,except maybe an X2 version.
    Probably would handle that too,but better to have
    more than enough output than not enough.
    If you plan on doing SLI or crossfire in the future,
    get one with a higher power output.

9. lllAE86lll

Currently having a 400w already built from store so i am pretty much sure is a crap one.

I dont want any high end psu, not planning to do any sli or anything in particular. Just want a good psu for future proof just incase a slight upgrade and good for 460

10. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Read toward the end of this thread.

11. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Those high end PSUs are far more than the OP needs, in my opinion the best PSU you have listed is the Corsair 750w listed in the mid range list.

I would agree with you there, the 400w that comes from the store probably won't be up to much. Can you get it from them cheaper, without the PSU and then get one yourself? You can ask :), otherwise you are just wasting money on a PSU that is no use to you.

12. lllAE86lll

No the computer is already built long time ago, just upgrading it now.

Newegg ran out of stock of gtx 460 768mb :(

13. schang626

schang626

5750 is plenty for your resolution.. unless youre planning to change your monitor too, gtx 460 is an overkill. a good 500w psu should be enough for ur build.

14. dave0700

dave0700

i suggest you go for a power supply a little overrated for your need to expand in the future, and allow for an overclocking possibility. i think Nvidia has personally given me less problems than ATI, i loved ATI for speeds and smoothness that most game would respond with, but driver and hardware problems have pushed me to the nvidia stable for now :-(

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/947736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice