1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buying a new graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by millert, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. millert

millert Thread Starter

What do youthink about this card as performance wise i mean is it any good XFX GeForce 7900 GS Extreme Edition

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Check those links:
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7900.html
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7950.html
    www.gpureview.com

As far as I know there is no 7900GS Extreme Edition...Maybe you mean the 7900GTX? Or a
    card from the 7950 series?

Consider that gaming performance depends on the overall system features and not only GPU. Also keep in mind that a powerfull GPU such as the 7900GTX won't do any performance difference in a slow system as they can get bottlenecked by CPU or RAM. For example you won't benefit much by pairing a 7900GTX with an old P4 slower than 3.0Ghz. You will take results similar to a 7800GS - 7600GT in that case.

Also consider that if you are building a new system or you have a pretty new machine (Core 2 Duo E6xxx - Athlon 64x2 AM2 4200+ or greater) you may get a card from the GF8800 series as well.

3. millert

millert Thread Starter

4. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

The card you consider buying is a very good choice...
    But
    If you have a really new PC you can think of buying an 8800 card...

Tell me your CPU model and speed, be sure about RAM and if possible what is your motherboard and power supply unit. Right click on my computer to view CPU and RAM specs...The other stuff can be found at your machine's documentation that came with the manufacturer.

5. millert

millert Thread Starter

ok
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+ 984Mhz 960 Mb of RAM

not too sure where too find other stuff

6. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

The 7900GS will be enough for your system but:
    In several cases because your CPU limits the card's capabilities you won't see any big difference in performance at resolutions 1280x1024 or 1024x768 with the 7900GS compared to an 7600GT. For greater resolutions your CPU may not be enough to provide acceptable framerates.

You could get the card and keep it in the future if you plan on upgrading your CPU and RAM later. But this is complicated as you could get an 8800 card which is better and first of all compatible with Vista's DX10. Keep in mind that in order to do that you must buy the PCI Express version of the card. If you have an older AGP motherboard you can't do it. And if you buy an AGP versions the card will be useless later if you upgrade CPU and motherboard as all new computers go for PCI Express. Also keep in mind that buying such a powerfull card may require the upgrade of your Power Supply Unit too.

In my opinion: First check if you have AGP. In that case if you plan to upgrade later your CPU, buy a cheap 7600GT now. If you don't plan on getting your CPU upgrated go for the 7900GS. If you have PCI Express you may search for an 8800 card instead.

You have now an integrated graphics card as I suspect. That's because your RAM is 960MB. Computers don't have that amount of RAM natively. I think that you have 1GB (1024MB) of RAM but the integrated graphics takes the other RAM for its needs. If you have integrated graphics then you should really upgrade if you want to run games.

The PSU make/model and wattage can be found on it's label stuck on it. You will be able to see it if you open your computer's case. It can also be found if you have documentation of the parts of your PC.

7. millert

millert Thread Starter

so wat ur saying is i should go ahead with this card if i do not plan on upgraded anything like the CPU or anything i will find the PSu but

i have another question my moniter will sometimes turn off for no reason my friend says it might be graphic card

also the buttons on the side of moniter like menu or auto select when pushed say OSD lockout wats up with that

8. mclarenvj

mclarenvj

an amd athlon 64 3400+ going at 984Mhz
    i had an amd athlon 64 2800+ at 1.99Ghz
    i think 984 mhz is a bit slow

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah that cpu isn't clocked right. You need to get into the bios as that should be about 2.2 ghz. I wonder if you have the right cpu for the board.
    Install this it will tell you the motherboard and everything else.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

10. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Well I thought he just missed an "1" and that he meant 1984Mhz as socket 754 version of the A64 3400+ runs at 2.0ghz...As for the "missing" 16Mhz that's propably an incorrect windows description, it happens as you know.

If however you really have it clocked at 984Mhz follow the above advice.:)

You could get a 7900GS I think for this machine. But check your power supply as I doubt that it will be enough judging from your system. And as I suspect that your Athlon is socket 754 you propably have AGP...Few mobos used PCI Express back then.

Consider this as a good alternative as at the shop you searched I cannot any 7900GS for AGP: ATI Radeon X1950Pro.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2855869&CatId=935
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3123049&sku=H231-7214

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!