Buying a new Hard Drive. Anyone this this is a good deal?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, it would be worth buying if they weren't already sold out! :D

JMT74

They are sold out online. They have them in stock at my local Best Buy. =p lol

JohnWill said:
Well, it would be worth buying if they weren't already sold out! :D

JMT74

I recently posted a question about a 120 gb hard drive that was a hot deal on best buy. I actually couldn't get my hand's on one. I was too late getting to the local store. The hard drive that crashed on my computer was a 120 gb hard drive. I was just wondering if buying a 160 gb hard drive have any affects on my computer? How high is too high with the computer I have. It is a DELL Dimension 8250 2.66 ghz 256 Meg of Ram. I bought this 3 years ago.

Circuit City has a 160gb WD drive for $119-$70 MIR, so $40, much better deal. I'm actually going out the door to get one now, two of my local stores have it in stock, usually they never have sale items in stock I have to hurry :p .

edit: Also, that's the Dell model I bought my brother exactly. If I remember correctly you had an option to upgrade as high as a 180gb for the hard drive at the time. I remember because he said he wanted the ram upgrade more.

JMT74

This is a chat I just had with a DELL tech support guy. What do you make of this?

My hard drive went kaput recently and was wondering if going from a 120gb hard drive to a 160gb hard drive would cause any problems?

Dell Tech: there might not be compatibility issues as such. However, the maximum capacity hard drive tested for your system is 120GB.

So would you advise I go with another 120gb drive then?

Dell Tech: Yes, that would be better option.

So do you think I should say to hell with what the Dell dude has to say and still go get a 160gb hard drive? LOL

msgtgumby said:
Circuit City has a 160gb WD drive for $119-$70 MIR, so $40, much better deal. I'm actually going out the door to get one now, two of my local stores have it in stock, usually they never have sale items in stock I have to hurry :p .

edit: Also, that's the Dell model I bought my brother exactly. If I remember correctly you had an option to upgrade as high as a 180gb for the hard drive at the time. I remember because he said he wanted the ram upgrade more.

msgtgumby said:
Circuit City has a 160gb WD drive for $119-$70 MIR, so $40, much better deal.
Might want to check your math there... :confused:

Don't overlook the FIVE year warranty on the Seagate drives, I don't know what length of warranty WD is offering now, but I switched to Seagate when they changed the warranty to five years (about 18 months ago), and I'm now running three Seagate drives without a problem (one 160GB, two 200GB). A friend installed two of their 250GB drives in June of '05, and he has no complaints.

Of course, YMMV...

I recently had a "chat" with Dell over replacing a laptop drive. They said the maximum size it would see would be 12 Gigs. I informed him it already had a twenty that had failed. He suggested maybe that was why it failed. Sure it was--after 4 years. I put a sixty in it and it has been running fine for a couple of months now.

The point of the story is that Dell techs know only how to read what's on their flow-chart screen. They aren't allowed to say anything other than that--even if they happen to know better. If you want to vary from Dell's original specs, don't expect useful information from them.

I once had a Dell tech tell me that if I used a higher wattage rated power supply than came with it originally that I would burn up my system and void my warranty. No exaggeration--those were about the exact words. Anyone who who is one week into a basic electricity course will find that laughable.

I'm not sure about when boards changed to 48 bit; but, if your board supports 48-bit addressing, you could go as large a drive as any made today. But, there is no way I know of to determine 48-bit addressing capability aside from attaching a large drive (140-Gigs or better). If your board doesn't support 48-bit addressing, you could always get an IDE add-in card that does.

And yeah, it's $50 not $40, I mistyped, sorry.

As for Dell support, that's your call. I'm pretty sure it takes higher. I'd swear it was offered with a higher upgrade, but I'd assume (and hope) Dell support would know better. Hell, even if it won't see the 160gb, it'll see at least 120gb (probably 137gb if it isn't 48-bit) and when you move it to a newer system down the road you gain 20-40gigs depending :)

JMT74 said:
This is a chat I just had with a DELL tech support guy. What do you make of this?

My hard drive went kaput recently and was wondering if going from a 120gb hard drive to a 160gb hard drive would cause any problems?

Dell Tech: there might not be compatibility issues as such. However, the maximum capacity hard drive tested for your system is 120GB.

So would you advise I go with another 120gb drive then?

Dell Tech: Yes, that would be better option.

So do you think I should say to hell with what the Dell dude has to say and still go get a 160gb hard drive? LOL

Of course, he could always partition the drive; as long as no partition was more than about 128GB (which is safely below the maximum size limit), both Windows and his system CMOS would be able to see the entire drive. Even if he only used the extra space for storing large files (music or video, for example), he'd be able to use the ENTIRE drive now, rather than wait to access all of it.

msgtgumby:

Gee, I HOPED you were going to report that the MIR was actually $80, which would have meant that the AR price really was $40; it doesn't seem like such a great deal now... Did you manage to get one of those WD drives? If so, do you know how long the warranty is nowadays? I remember reading that WD was extending some warranties, but I never saw any specific details... Thanks in advance for any info you can provide...

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Nope, not true. It's the size of the whole drive that's limited if your BIOS doesn't support LBA48, since it's addressing absolute sectors. You can use the rest of a drive you format under XP with no service pack after adding SP2, since you can then see the rest of the drive.

First Name
Jay
I just checked the link yu posted and it is a $30 dollar rebate not a $60 dollar. So your cost is actually going to be $59. Still not a bad price though.

JMT74

So, John what would you advice personally? Seeing I respect your opinions most. Should I stay with a 120gb hard drive or go with the 160gb?

JohnWill said:
Nope, not true. It's the size of the whole drive that's limited if your BIOS doesn't support LBA48, since it's addressing absolute sectors. You can use the rest of a drive you format under XP with no service pack after adding SP2, since you can then see the rest of the drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online