1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buying a new laptop...Help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by arvindch, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arvindch

arvindch Account Closed Thread Starter

Hi!

So, I'll be buying a new laptop - sometime before Sept. 2013.
    I live in India, so prices here are close to 50% higher than US prices.
    (Which is why the only decent laptop for my budget that I can get here is an AMD APU, whereas I can get an Intel core i7 from the US)
    [I have a few cousins in the US, who can get a me a laptop from the US if required.]

I have two in mind :

1. HP Pavilion G6-2313AX Laptop ( in India, 700$ )

CPU - AMD APU A10 4600M ( 4 core, 2.3 ~ 3.2 GHz )
    GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7660G + HD 7670M Dual Crossfire ( 0.5 GB + 2 GB DDR3 )
    Display - 15.6 " 1366x768 LED backlit
    RAM - 6 GB DDR3
    HDD - 1 TB

2.HP DV6TQE Series Custom ( in USA, 710$ )

CPU - Intel i7 3610QM ( 4 core, 2.3 GHz )
    GPU - NVIDIA GT 650M ( 1 GB DDR5 )
    Display - 15.6 " 1366x768 LED backlit
    RAM - 8 GB DDR3
    HDD - 1 TB

The biggest difference here is the CPU+GPU combo.
    According to benchmarks and real-world tests on modern games - notebookcheck.net shows a huge difference between the two GPUs and cpubenchmark.net shows a huge difference between the two CPUs.
    And, the overall winner is the Intel option.

However, I'm yet to find a good comparison between battery consumption and performance in moderate usage and gaming.

I'm going to be using the laptop for moderate gaming (maybe some 1-2 year old games), multimedia usage (movies, music) and general internet and software usage.
    I also need moderate battery life ( 4 hours atleast ). Which one offers more?

What looks like a better option?

How would the HP warranty affect me? The AMD one is available in India, so I can definitely get a warranty, but the Intel one is from the USA. So, do they offer a good worldwide warranty, which I can use in India? Anyone have any views/experiences with this?

If you can, provide links to sites/webpages which you used to provide me info.

If you find a good laptop within my budget ( 700$ ) , which is available in the USA, please link to it. I have no specific brand requirements, but my research showed some good HP laptops, so I'm considering them.

Thanks!

P.S. Yeah, this looks like an AMD vs Intel choice.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1094512

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice