1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buying a new machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BlackHorseman, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackHorseman

BlackHorseman Thread Starter

Hi,

I intend, in the next few days, to get me a new machine.
    I plan to install Win2000 (or another version of Windoze) for games, and then Linux (I'm yet to determine which exactly), to facilitate convenient dual boot.

I need it mainly for internet & web development, but also for games. I don't play games that require the very top video hard, and, anyway, I don't like spending too much on that.

The info I need is - what hardware would you recommend for me to buy? (I intend to select all parts myself). More than anything I need to know which products/companies are most reliable. I guess there are either pre-prepared lists and/or tables detailing such info, so a link to one (or more) of those would also be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,
    Daniel.

2. colmaca

colmaca

Its always good to say how much $$$$ you want to spend.:rolleyes:

3. Jones

Jones

Here are some brands I'd recommend, based on my past experience:

Processor - AMD is most popular for gaming (although I use Intel ;) )
    Motherboard - Asus, Abit, DFI
    RAM - Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, OCZ
    Video Card - BFG, EVGA, XFX
    Sound card - Creative Labs - Not really necessary with the quality of on-board sound, but nice to have
    Case - Antec, Thermaltake, Lian Li, etc - Personal preference, really
    PSU - VERY IMPORTANT!! - Antec, Enermax, Ultra

If you're in the States, I'd shop at Newegg.com. If you're in Canada, the best place I've found is Tigerdirect.ca.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice