1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buying a new motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Devlin-irious, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Devlin-irious

Devlin-irious Thread Starter

Okay, so basically, I've had a lot of trouble with my computer lately. It all started when I tampered with the registry, which was broke my PC so badly I had to have it formatted and I had to start from scratch.

I asked he guys at the repair place to "upgrade my PC so it is in line with modern standards"- I wanted a modern, working machine. They installed a new 230GB hard disk, as well as leaving my old 37.2GB one in there (which I used for storage when formatting the main drive), and they also put in an extra 512 MB RAM, giving me a total of 1GB RAM, which I believe is pretty decent. But, besides that, they removed nothing, and changed nothing, despite stressing that my sound card is crap and I have a meager processor (AMD Athlon 1GHZ).

I installed Windows XP Professional Edition and Service Pack 2, but after one or two sessions of my PC running smoothly and as fast as hell, it soon broke down again, starting up slowly, crashing my desktop and my explorer menus, as well as me losing one of the stereo tracks, meaning that when I'm listening to music I only hear half the audio, not to mention the audio crackling badly and often freezing and refusing to playback for several seconds in extreme cases.

Additionally, not all of my USBs work, meaning I've had to plug some really impractical stuff into the front ports, and I have two CD drives, one of which does not work at all, and I also believe they're supposed to play DVDs, but they don't.

I've not actually bought a new computer for like six years, but that's because I can't afford one. However, I do not believe that I need one, since it has some good parts in it. I believe what would solve my woes is a new motherboard and a new sound card, but I would like some help with a few questions. Before I ask my questions, here are my PC's current specs:

AMD Athlon (1GHz)
    1 GB RAM
    HDD 1 (C): 230 GB
    HDD 2 (D): 37.2 GB
    ATI Radeon 9200 graphics card
    On-board sound card

And now, my questions:

1) How good is my current machine, judging by the above specs?
    2) What would you recommend I add/remove from my machine?
    3) Currently, the oldest parts of the PC are the motherboard, the CD drives (one of which doesn't work), and the 37.2GB hard drive. Is there any chance that the old hard drive could carry some afflictions which are being transferred to my new one, or could my motherboard by the source of the problem?
    4) What would you recommend I buy in terms of a motherboard?

I cannot stress how important it is that I get this PC fixed- I need it for a lot of stuff. Any help is very much appreciated.

2. Fuller42

Fuller42

From the sound of it, you may need to upgrade more than just your motherboard. You could just get another one but it would have to be second hand as you wont be able to buy a brand new motherboard that would work with your 1Ghz Processor.
    The cheapest upgrade I can think of that would give you a decent upgrade for the money would be the following: (You didnt say if you were UK or US based, sorry)
    1 x Socket 939 motherboard with an AGP socket (you should be able to get one off ebay but make sure it has IDE hard drive connections and not SATA) it should come with an integrated sound card anyway, so you wont need to buy a separate sound card. (Approx $20-30)
    1 x AMD Athlon 3200+ Socket 939 (approx $30)
    (Optional but maybe necessary - New DVD RW Drive, approx $30)

You will be able to use your New Hard drive and RAM with the above items and although it should give you some better performance without breaking the bank account. $50-60 for motherboard and processor together, or $80 if you get a DVD RW drive too.
    It's possible that the old hard drive is causing problems and because its so small, id be tempted just to remove it.
    You can also upgrade your graphics card as it is ageing, but if you are on a budget, you dont have to do that - its probably not causing any problems for you.

3. Devlin-irious

Devlin-irious Thread Starter

Thanks for that. Would it be recommended to just get a new processor? If so, what's the standard I should be looking for? 2.8GHz or something?

4. Fuller42

Fuller42

If you can let me know the make and model of your current motherboard I'll tell you if it will support a better processor, but my gut feeling is that the most you'll be able to put in would be a Althon 1400+, which wouldnt really be worth upgrading too. A new motherboard would be needed if you want a processor faster than 2GHz

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/633213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice