Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buying a New pc

827 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  spiers 
#1 ·
Hi,
Not sure if this is in the right forum, please move if it is.

Looking for a pc for £500 or thereabouts.
Three that seem decent i have listed below;

Acer
Chillblast
HP Refurb

Just been looking on Ebay under sellers or power sellers what ever it is, and there is a staggering number of amazing spec machines.. the hard drives are much lower.. but some include two graphics cards and 8GB of RAM for £500. The best example i believe being below;

Ebay one

Not sure if they are worth it though? Ive been thinking about ungradability.. and want a board that can support 8GB of Ram really.
Any ideas guys?
I dont need an OS.

#2 ·
Not sure what to tell you on those but from looking at them quickly, they each have things I like but if you're looking for 8gb or ram because you want to use Vista 64bit, then 3 of the 4 (not Ebay) has what looks like VIsta Home 32bit. Ebay might work out if you already have an OS to use plus the ram you want. I like the case and also q6600's but the board is a 650i which is ok but obsolete for new gaming machines. I don't like HP in general but they usually have good warranties, but reburbished maybe not. Chillblast doesn't seem too bad and never heard of them but I'm in the US. You are better off building one if you want my honest opinion.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply.
I can get free OS via University upto Vista Business and should get 64bit i pressume.
I tried afew sites with all the parts and could get the thing for about £480.
Never built a pc in my life and just wondering if the saving of £50 is worth the risk.

#4 ·
Maybe not if you never have. To me it's easy but I've spent years screwing with 'em. You are probably getting a pre-built pc. ot sure which one to tell you to pick because I don't general trust online pc makers, and I have bought a number of "bare-bones" setups with limited parts and still got screwed on cases and RMA's. Luckily I have a MicroCenter 5 miles away and is one of the best stores in the US but I still order parts online that are cheaper, especially through Newegg (good). Ebay users tend to take care of their customers and are worried about negative responses that everyone can read. That seller does have a high feeback count and a 99.6% positive. I suggest using PayPal (get if you don't) and use that to buy from the Ebay buyer. Seems more of what you need and you can dispute through PayPal is you are not happy.

#5 ·
Ive started working for the NHS.. National Health Service doing IT support.
The only real hardware stuff ive done is taking hard-drives out for ghosting.
Ive also been on a 2 hour basic hardware course.. but both were under supervision and with cheap parts which were not mind.
I remember at University snapping a RAM clip, so still dont know what im doing.

I will probably buy that pc from the Ebay Seller, hes a power seller with good feedback. The only problem with that pc i believe is the GFX card.
The only thing now to do is to get the OS working. Havent got a DVD burner so might just take my hard-drive into work to get it copied onto something.
Ive read the manual and its screwed in.. so hope i dont break it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.