1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buying a new router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by remaja, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

her we go again. it seems like too many threads have i started to ask about my router problems. having very bad Internet connection, doing more troubleshooting than surfing, facing such frustrating times on the internet.

NO MORE OF THIS NONSENSE!!! I'm getting myself a new router

I have been using everything aztech in my wireless network
    and I think it's time to change brand. please give me your solutions and reviews about the product youv'e used

I would like a router that can give me a good signal for both storeys in my house. my aztech has very wide coverage but I can hardly get anything on when I'm up in my room.
    recommend me something that's not aztech and that you think is a good brand or model

2. tech.dude

tech.dude

Yes I have also had several (thousand) problems when trying to use a wireless router made by Blanc. The signal was not strong enough to reach to my room from the main computer less than 10 feet away downstairs. I ended up just running a 50ft cord instead of spending the extra $50 and buying a good router.

Now as for companies, I would recommend you use D-Link or Linksys. The new Wireless Pre-N routers have far greater range and signal strength than the Wireless G routers. This type of router would be your best bet.

3. jackdw

jackdw

I've had a very, 100% pleasant experience with a netgear WPN802 pre-N rangemax access point (VERY good coverage, even on G, and yes, on different floors)
    The wireless on a WGR614 v6 took some time and balancing the router on a shelf but it was between two floors and a foot thick stone wall...

Try netgear rangemax. They're not expensive refurbished on ebay..

4. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

thank you for the information and suggestions. I was thinking of linksys too but I was not sure about the quality that they provide.

would the router have any compatible problems with my aztech wireless adapter? it's usb based. I don't want to buy something back just to find out that it has problems like making connection unstable and so on.

5. jackdw

jackdw

It's reccomended that you have the same manufacturer for both adapter and router. It will work but not as its best.

6. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

that's the dilemma I've been facing.
    I've tried to claim my warranty few weeks ago resulting in me being offline for three days they didn't change it sending me back the same router saying that i need to set wep to 64bit. I did and still the same results occurs.

I don't want to send it back again and can't use the Internet for another three days. and I don't trust aztech anymore.

I really need help please... thank you

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's not true unless you're talking about proprietary protocol extensions such as Linksys' SpeedBooster.

Laptops come with built-in wireless adapters and connect just fine to all types of networks regardless of their hardware.

8. jackdw

jackdw

But it's reccomended that it's the same.

9. Crusnik

Crusnik

I'd have to agree. I get better performance and less disconnects on cards that are the same brand as my router. I recommend sticking with the same brand if you can.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Do you have any references to back this up?

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

As long as you stick to name brands, and disable all the non-standard "extensions" to the wireless protocol. mixing brands is not an issue. I have a number of clients with all sorts of different brands of wireless equipment. When you think about it, if you have a bunch of wireless laptops, how do you manage to keep all the brands the same? I don't think D-Link or Linksys make laptops, do they? ;) I have an Actiontec and SMC wireless router here, and a Compaq and an Averatec laptop, and a Microsoft wireless adapter in one of the machines. All of these devices talk to each other with no issues.

12. Crusnik

Crusnik

Been my personal experince with d-link and netgear products. The d-link cards seem to have fewer issues than the netgear ones with the d-link router.

13. jackdw

jackdw

The netgear cards are ok as long as you use windows to manage the connection. It can then support WPA2 and has a 100 time more reliable connection.

14. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

In my case I'm using the driver provided for my wireless adapter. it seems to have a hard time configure through windows. I haven't give a trouble shooting session yet. It could work though.

15. PSPete

PSPete

I think your best with a Lynksys

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541958

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice