Tags
budget psu
1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  TheGreatKaito 
#1 ·
Just what my title says.....
Here are my PC specs:-

My System Specs and equipment[Right now]
:-
1)Processor-Intel Core i5 6500 @3.20 Ghz.
2)Ram-8 GB.
3)Motherboard-Gigabyte H110M s2.
4)GPU-Zotac Geforce 1060 3GB.
5)Power supply-Antec VP550P.
6)HDD's-2 TB.
7)Case-Corsair 100R.
8)Monitor-Samsung 75Hz monitor[overclocked,as the monitor's standard frequency was 60Hz ;)].
9)Mouse-Steelseries Rival 100.
10)Mousepad-Steelseries Qck Mini.
11)Os-Windows 10-64 Bit.

I want a PSU between 2000-3000 rupees-[30.864 to 46.3 USD or less].There might be price differences as I live in India, so mostly recommend me budget or middle-entry PSU's....nothing fancy,just a PSU that does it job properly,that is it :)

See less See more
#2 ·
The peak usage of your Zotac video card is 125 watts which is as much as the sum of everything else added together. So, the total need without any printer or other things (such as your modem and router) is 250 to 300 watts or 550+ VA (Volt Amps) and you ought to have, at least 1.5 times that for a reliable UPS.
APC, in my humble opinion, makes garbage and this one will just barely get you by:
https://www.amazon.com/Excellent-Qu...498765114&sr=1-77&refinements=p_89:Tripp+Lite

#3 ·
APC, in my humble opinion, makes garbage
I've bought nothing but "APC" battery-backup units for several years for my 2 desktop systems and HD TV system.
They work fine when they need to, and I get at least 5 - 6 years of usage out of them before I have to replace them.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
I really cant go like 5-6 K rupees[which is a lot] for a APC UPS,but I found this one which seems like a steal for the price- http://www.amazon.in/Intex-1000VA-G...qid=1498844684&ref_=sr_1_4&s=computers&sr=1-4 . I have used an Intex UPS before, but it is nothing compared to my rig now. To a more important question.....all that mumbo jumbo about pure sine wave clashing with active PFC.How does it work? Which UPS should I be looking for my power supply[antec vp 550P]?.I hope someone explains this to me a little bit better ;)

#5 ·
You have to spell out your requirements for a UPS a bit better. The better ones will have line conditioning which is what you're seeing concerning talk about pure sine wave power. To understand why this is important, you have to have some electrical engineering principles with how erratic power, distortion, and harmonics can affect electronic components. The other consideration is how long you need this UPS to keep the system(s) you have connected powered up. UPS's are sized based on the load and how much run time you need out of it. This run time buys you time on waiting for supplemental (backup generator)/utility power to kick back in or time to shut down the system(s) properly.

As Frank has stated, I have gone to APC as my default UPS of choice for many years. I've tried products from CyberPower and Belkin with disappointing results. The CyberPower unit didn't even work once when I had a power outage. The Belkin was able to provide power for a couple of outages and then became a paper weight. The APC units have lasted much longer and have provided decent performance. But I have noticed at least with the consumer grade units that batteries tend to die off pretty quickly. I went from 300VA units to 900VA units to 1500VA units. The 1500VA units were able to provide power for a few minutes and then started to die off with each subsequent power outage. I have the newest APC 1500VA UPS' from APC and both of them have had their batteries replaced twice already. They're currently showing a battery fault although the UPS' are still able to keep the equipment I have on them running for the advertised run time.

I have moved on to business class UPS' from Vertiv/Emerson Network Power with their GXT4 line.

You're obviously looking at getting a UPS for some of the protection/security it provides. But you have to be smart about it. Deciding based solely on price is a huge mistake. While price doesn't always mean high quality and good performance, there's usually a correlation. The price you've presented at around $40 USD to me is totally unrealistic.

#8 ·
Thanks guys, now at least I will not make the grave mistake of buying a simulated sine wave UPS for my active PFC SMPS [Antec VP 550P]. Just like 737Simpilot said,UPS's which provide pure sinewave are a tad bit costly imo in India as compared to the simulated ones,but then I guess this is the case all over the world.I tried searching for PSU's that would at least come somewhat in my budget and the ones that did come, required an external battery.....which would set me back 10-13 K rupees for the battery alone,forget the UPS itself. I guess, my belkin surge protectors are doing some good stuff for me now, and I hope they continue to do so until I save up enough money to buy a decent UPS[my parents won't lend me a thing as I splurged everything on my rig].Thanks guys for this valuable information and I will ask for suggestions when I have saved up enough money for the UPS ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.