Buying a server

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

redcivic

Okay so I got a quote from a local builder the specs are as follows:

motherboard is ECS RS480-M or http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Produc...LanID=9&DetailID=506&DetailName=Specification

Processor

AMD athlon 64bit 3200+

RAM

two sims of 512MB PC3200 DDR400

Floppy
1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive

Optical Drive
52x24x52 CDRW

Hard Drives
Two 160GB 7200RPM SATA Drives

Human Interface Devices

Mouse and Keyboard

He is charging me $695.00. I think that is a good price but I don't know about the motherboard. I got another quote for $100.00 more but they use this motherboard:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo-FSR&class=mb

So does anyone know of another good place to look for a buy.

If your buying a server, go with the Operton or the Xeon's.
..and try to get EEC Ram.

my two cents.

This is only a PC acting as a server. If you really don't care and it is only for servingweb pages or for a home LAN go for it. This would not be a good choice for an office or enterprise environment.

I was wondering about that. The price seems to be less than one-tenth what I expected to see for a "server". Rockn's quote explained it a bit.

redcivic

This system will not work then. What minimum requirements would you guys recommend for a server running medical software and server 2003 with 40 useers connecting.

I would never buy a server solution that does not have 1) Xeon processing and at least 2) raid 5 and 3) an integrated/add-on backup solution.

Usuaully I go with SCSI controllers/drives too but thats not a requirement I make thats just what most higher end server use.

but then again all I have ever done is work on office environment servers.

To be honest I would not even want this PC as my primary PC at home (but then again I am a computer snob).

What are your requirements for this software? What kind of infrastructure are you putting this into place at? Is this medical software being "served" on this server or is the data just being placed onto it from the software?

redcivic

SCSI is too expensive and I think a little overkill. I have a san solution and I m looking at several other additional back-up solutions. I am the one spending the money so I don't want anything i won't use or anything I don't need.

redcivic

I am upgrading medical software that will be "served" from the server to the workstations. I am running a standard 10/100 mps cat 5 lan in a building that was built 3 years ago. The minimum requirements of a server from the software vendor ar as follows:

P4 or Xeon
2GB Ram
80GB SCSI drive
1000 nic
optional raid 320

redcivic said:
The minimum requirements of a server from the software vendor ar as follows:

P4 or Xeon
2GB Ram
80GB SCSI drive
1000 nic
optional raid 320
Looks like the Software vendor wants 2 GB of RAM but the server quote you got had half that much. Did I read that right?

Yes the server I put on there only had half the ram and comes with no HDD's installed already hence why I said the bottom portion -

buy extra installed ram (it only comes with 1gb so get an extra 1gb or 2gb)
buy 6 80gb (or higher for future expandability) scsi hdd's and make it raid 5 with a hotspare.
and then add on a backup solution.

BTW the best thing if you like the type is get a model number and then shop around. I know CDW isn't the cheapest place to get server or server parts I am just giving you more of what "I" would get if I had to buy a server. I probably would plop in another CPU since it can tak 2 but thats just me and my overkill :)

Also I found one thing a little off -

the specs say 1000 nic but you say your running 10/100 at the site... any thoughts on beefing that up to the 1000 all the way around? I find it weird it requires gigabit on the server but then will work fine on a 10/100 lan?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online