1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

buying a used laptop ????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JJAG, Jul 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JJAG

JJAG Thread Starter

i am looking to buy a used laptop off of ebay.i only need it for 3 sems. of school and will only be using it for writing papers when away from the desktop at home.what are the key elements i need to look for (mhz, petium,drives etc.).i dont need to much and i dont want to spend alot.i notice alot of used laptops come with no os loaded is this ok and is it easy to load a os.if you know of any other web sights that would have a better deal let me know.thanks

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

be very carefull there is a big problem with people saying laptop is a certian speed and it turns out to be an old 200 mhz laptop. or a lot of people just take the money and run, if you buy from some one with lots of feed back you are ok

3. JJAG

JJAG Thread Starter

what is the least amount of mhz and petium would be good for what im doing.i see alot of under 200 mhz that claim it can do what i need.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Going to move this to hardware where you should get some other/better ;) responses....... :D

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there JJAG...

IMHO...try to if you can, steer away from the older ones, ( several reasons for this, CMOS battery will be weak, components old and worn out, etc...), and steer away from the Compaq's ( I've had to replace several motherboards after almost a year, coming from ebay ), Toshiba's are good, and Dell's are better, and if all you need is word processing, and saving documents, get the one with the largest hard drive...

6. pronute

pronute

And a another key fetcher that every body overlooks is an internal CDROM drive, however not one that you have to swap with the floppy drive, this is important if your going to load an OS. A few things that will be handy but not a necessity is, USB ports, integrated NIC, and at least two PCMCIA slots.

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

OHHHH...yes...pronute...forgot about those...( must be the beer :D )...

8. Cosmic

Cosmic

One big risk you are taking buying sight unseen is a number of those older ones look like cr*p on the display, especially after getting a lot of hours under the hood. Might be the reason the guy is selling it.

A description of the specs gives you a fair idea of what to expect but you never really know about something used until you put your eyeballs on it.

Failing that, I would pay particular attention to the photos on ebay. If it ain't fired up, might email and ask for a photo of it in action.

Be horrible to get the deal of the century and have to look at a ratty screen for the rest of your school dazes. I far prefer buying local and being able to see the intended machine of your dreams before the big wedding. Might even get a better price, I like computer shows for buying used hardware. Big selection in one spot. Price is one thing, but exactly what it looks like is another.

9. JJAG

JJAG Thread Starter

thanks for all the helpful info.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/148369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice