1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buying a Video Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by The Infinity, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. The Infinity

The Infinity Thread Starter

I am looking in buying a video camera and I want something I can record on then plug into my computer through USB or Firewire and then be able to edit the video. I have a budget of $300 and I found 3 on Newegg I am liking but not sure which one to choose.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCompare.asp?bop=AND&Submit=PROPERTY&SubCategory=205&PropertyCodeValue=1799%3A12246%2C1808%3A12334%2C1808%3A18483&MinPrice=0&MaxPrice=320&CompareItemList=N82E16830120037%2CN82E16830145045%2CN82E16830120035

If there are any others that could be recommended that will do that for the price, I would greatly appreciate suggestions. :)

Thanks!

2. wilson44512

wilson44512

3. The Infinity

Well can anyone give me any input on whether any or all of these will do what I want?

4. buck1952

buck1952 Banned

5. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

Be well, Buck. :)

I commented on your banning and it seems it caused quite the uproar. I'm out of here.

Take care of yourself. :)

6. buck1952

buck1952 Banned

Hi Jonesiegirl... ;)

Hope all is well with you also...

My banning was a pitiful display of the clickyness... is that a new word...;) this forum has come to...

buck

7. The Infinity

Can someone help me with this topic at all? :(

8. linskyjack

linskyjack

First of all, you want a DV camera that supports firewire---that is the only reliable way to transfer video from your camera to your computer. You will be happy with the ZR600---I don't like the JVC.

9. The Infinity

THANK YOU! Finally a response. I appreciate your feedback. Is USB an option for transfering video also? Even though firewire is much faster.

Also can you get video cameras with both connections? I believe these have that option.

10. linskyjack

linskyjack

No, USB is not an option---it leads to nothing but problems. The other important thing is that you should have one hard drive (preferably 7200 rpm) as a dedicated video capture drive.

11. The Infinity

Alright. Well I just planned to record reviews for my website and then upload them straight to the computer.

I was also wondering how mini-dv works. I guess it records onto the Mini-DV tape and then when plugged into the computer the computer reads from Firewire to video camera the mini-dv tape and then the video is transfered?

12. linskyjack

linskyjack

Mini-DV et al is pretty simple. Unless you have a deck, you merely put the camera in the VTR mode, plug your fire wire cable from your camera into your firewire port on your computer. Depending on what program you are using to capture, the next steps vary. Anyhow, remember to get yourself a drive that is dedicated to capturing only video (no applications or anything else on it).

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice