1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buying advice please - touch screen laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrissywissy, Dec 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrissywissy

chrissywissy Thread Starter

I'm looking for a desk top replacement. I'm pretty much decided on Windows 8 touch screen, on the reasoning that touch screen appears to be the future and Windows 8 is designed for touch screen and should only get better.

I use my computer virtually all day everyday and want a machine that I can use in my home office in the day and also take into the lounge in the evening to use while my wife is watching TV or to pick up during commercial breaks if I'm watching TV.

I use it for ebay (work), general browsing & email, a lot of listening to music and watching HD video - youtube, i-player etc, a lot of photoshop & occasional video editing. I'm not a gamer at all.
    I want a laptop with a large screen that will do what I want with power to spare.

With all that in mind I have narrowed it down to theHP touchsmart 17-j011sa from John Lewis (http://www.johnlewis.com/hp-envy-to...-1tb-17-3-touch-screen-natural-silver/p764544)

I can't find much info in terms of reviews, either pro or user for this particular model, other than the 2 reviews on the John Lewis site, both of which criticise the quality of the keyboard, the feel of which is probably not that important to me as I'm not a touch typist - although obviously I don't want the keys to be falling off.
    I have found reviews of models with very similar specs but not touch screen models, some of which say that they run very hot and I wonder whether that would necessarily apply to this model too, as I do want to use on my lap when not at my desk.

I really like this laptop on paper and am on the verge of buying it but don't want to make an expensive mistake. I use my computers a lot but have very little technical knowledge and am really looking for some one with experience or knowledge of this particular line to either confirm my choice or to warn me off and suggest an alternative.

Thanks for reading my post - Chris

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    certainly looks like a reasonable machine
    i have played with a couple of HP desktop and laptops and the touch screen did not seem that great, although it may be a calibration issue

i7 is a good cpu and with 8gb memory should be ok, for the uses you have described

I'm not sure about video editing, although I do a little bit on an i5 with 6gb, but it is only minor editing

do you need a firewire connection at all for any video you have ?

3. chrissywissy

chrissywissy Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. Actually when I say video editing I don't mean proper video editing, just very basic stuff like cutting bits out, re-ordering clips, simple transitions, titling etc. And no I don't need firewire.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    other than comparing on price - sounds good and you usually get 2 years warranty with John Lewis

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1116273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice