Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buying AVG?

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
I have been really impressed with AVG free, but I'm wondering if it is
worth it to buy it so i get some more capabilities like rootkit and spyware.
So I don't have to run spybot SD and AVG Free. So is it worth it?

#2 ·
AVG does scan for spyware already so your fine there. The free AVG also has basic root kit scanning. I think you will be fine without purchasing the upgrade. Just a note Spybot S&D is a very old program and frankly doesn't work too well. I'd recommend upgrading to Malwarebytes (also free) if your looking for a good double check on the anti spyware and root kit end.

#5 ·
Spysweeper at one time was top notch but these days not and it has considerable system drag as well. The Webroot Antivirus with Spysweeper is an excellent suite though and that one I would recommend though Nod32 Smart Suite would also do all and give you way less system drag.
Imho, best for spyware by far is Superantispyware Pro and then combine that with Nod32 Antivirus 4.0.

#6 ·
Get rid of Spybot - Search & Destroy and replace it with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.37 and SUPERAntiSpyware 4.26.0.1004.

Personally, I've had bad luck with Webroot SpySweeper. Besides being memory-hungry, it's thrown the resolution and color palette out of wack when scanning.

----------------------------------------------------------------

#7 ·
Get rid of Spybot - Search & Destroy and replace it with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.37 and SUPERAntiSpyware 4.26.0.1004.

Personally, I've had bad luck with Webroot SpySweeper. Besides being memory-hungry, it's thrown the resolution and color palette out of wack when scanning.

Really even with how fast my computer is.
I'll take your word for it on the webroot, but I had
it in the past and was happy with it that's why.

#9 ·
I haven't used Webroot SpySweeper in about 3 years, so the newer version may be better.

There's so many free good antivirus and antispyware programs out there, I can't see spending $75 - $100 for a bloated security suite that basically takes over your computer.

It's all a matter of choice. Do you research and decide what you want.

#11 ·
I haven't used Webroot SpySweeper in about 3 years, so the newer version may be better.

There's so many free good antivirus and antispyware programs out there, I can't see spending $75 - $100 for a bloated security suite that basically takes over your computer.

Thanks man, I tried that anti-malware and it is pretty good.
I think you're right about not wasting money when a lot of this freeware
is really good.

#12 ·

Careful here. I would be the first to agree that there are some good free utilities to use here for an experienced user. Where folks get into trouble is inexperienced users getting hooked on free programs who cannot spot the inadequacies where many paid programs are so far superior imho! I am not referring to the "Big3" Norton, MacAfee or Pc Cillan either. There even the novice is better off with Avira.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.