1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

buying from digital storm and looking for advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jeck forey, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeck forey

jeck forey Thread Starter

Hi all i just made an account here... planning to buy this computer tonight, but wanted to see if i got a good setup for what i need.

Here are the stats i chose:
    Power-550W thermaltake sli compatible silent purepower edition

cpu-intel core 2 duo e6700 2.67 Ghz

motherboard-nvidia 680i LT core 2 quad by evga

Hard drive 400 GB western digital 7200 rpm SATA 16 mb cache

video card-Nvidia geforce 8600 GTS 256 mb PCI express

Those were my main questionable items, i wanted to go with 2X sli 8600 GT's. But i called DS and they said i should stick with one because i want to use 2 monitors at least some of the time. My computer is generally used for multitasking and PC games. I usually play Warcraft 3 or WOW on it which have low requirements, but i like to keep them running high quality. i also pick up random games like oblivion which requires a lot. So in general when i am on my computer i have aim the internet itunes a game (usually WOW) and i will use an extra monitor. and i would like to stay around the $2000 range.

Thanks for your help

P.S:sorry if this is sloppy i was typing it quickly.

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Hi mate...You have chosen great parts...Your machine rocks...

Just two objections:
    -The power supply.
    Thermaltake makes good stuff generally and I recommend them but since you are a gamer I would go for those (Check my post and find those pieces from where you are buying):
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/590401-power-supplies.html

-The graphics card.
    You were about to get two 8600GTs...So we don't you go for an 8800?
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_8800.html
    WoW was running maxed up on my 7600GS so the 8600GT will be more than enough. But if I was about to buy a DX10 card I would go for any 8800 in order to make sure that future games will run fine. If you want to utilise DX10 fully then you want to utilise the capabilities of a powerfull card.

As for multitasking you could check the Quad Core Conroe...It's price fell but I don't know how much. See if it fits your budget and if it does go for it!

3. jeck forey

Thanks for the info, i just realized that i misclicked that video card when i posted my stats and was planning to go wit the 8800 GTS... Also the ony non Thermaltake power source they sell is made by Corsair and is 620 W. Would you think that is a better option to choose? I spoke to DS over the phone on power source and they talked as if the 550 would be plenty but they suggested 620 in case i decide to buy a second video card for SLI. I forgot to mention as well that i upgraded the cooling and they overclock it for you when you upgrade it so they claim i will be able to get up to 3.5 on the cpu if i max it. so i think i should be set on cpu if that is the case...they seem to be biased towards intel even though they sell AMD as well, they say they run cooler and are easier to overclock due to that.

4. replay

replay

i think they gave u some good advise..............

5. jeck forey

Thanks for the help...Just purchased this computer after upgrading the power supply and fixing my video card mistake. Really appreciate the feedback.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!