buying hardware from overseas

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bill142

I'm looking to purchase some hardware from america or singapore and import it into australia. Apart from the obvious having to change power cables to australian, either through converters or changing the entire cable, are there any other problems im likley to encounter? Australia uses a 240v DC
Im looking at buying a case and the power supply is what im mostly concerned about as voltages and plugs differ from country to country. Im not to concerned about mother boards and CPU as they are a global standard but if there are any likley problems i would like to know about them

I dont have any actual adivce, but I'm wondering why you want to import the hardware. I'm an Australian and I find we have plenty of good retailers, especially online. Or can you get massive savings or products not available here by ordering overseas?
For Australian retailers I reccomend Cougar (http://www.cougar.com.au) they are a great store and deliver all over Australia.

bill142

cougar are good, but im justing trying to see if there are any advantages to buying from overseas. So far i'm encouraged by what i've found but finding someone who will ship overseas is a bit hard.

It is difficult, I'll grant you, as the majority of deals you will find are in the States, and if they ship overseas at all, the additional shipping charges make it not worth the effort.

However, one thing I can tell you is that the majority of Power supplies in cases for computers, if not all of them, have switching capabilities. This means they have the conversion built into them, you just need to move the switch from 110 to the 210-240 setting. That being the case, all you will actually need is a plug converter from whichever country you buy the power supply from to Aussie standard.You are correct in your assumption that all other internal components will not be affected, as they get their charge from the Power Supply, not Direct Current.

External devices might be another story, and you should check that our before purchasing them.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online