Buying merchandise online safely

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Stoner

Banned
I've seen many here at TSG talk about things they've bought online and I've been wondering what steps/precautions TSG members recommend for buying online from merchants (Newegg, Buy.com, Amazon, etc. ) with confidence. What is your favorite business checker ( Like Reseller ratings ) the best method of payment- credit card company. What ever you think is important.

Looking for advice as I've not bought much on line in the past.

Well when you think about how readily you give out your credit card number in face to face transaction the thought of doing so online doesn't become that terrifying. You can also use cards that assign one number per transaction so it can't be used in the future.
In evaluating merchants I look at the ratings as a starting point but there has to be a couple of hundred or more ratings by users to make it valid. I also look to see if there is a similarity among the posts indicating an owner pumping his own rating. I look to see if there have been any bad ratings given, I expect to see some, you can't be in business and not have some people you can't please. No bad ratings would cause me a concern. I also look at the seller's site. Does it come across professional, do all the links work, is everything laid out nicely. In other words, is this guy in business for the long haul. I also check the return policy and what if any restocking fee they have. I'm not a big believer in restocking fees.

Stoner

Banned
Hi gb

You can also use cards that assign one number per transaction so it can't be used in the future.
Any recomendations for a particular card here?

Stoner

Banned
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ahha!

There you go :D

Stoner said:
I've seen many here at TSG talk about things they've bought online and I've been wondering what steps/precautions TSG members recommend for buying online from merchants (Newegg, Buy.com, Amazon, etc. ) with confidence. What is your favorite business checker ( Like Reseller ratings ) the best method of payment- credit card company. What ever you think is important.

Looking for advice as I've not bought much on line in the past.

i would start with the following: http://www.bbb.org/alerts/article.asp?ID=636

(y) ;)

Shadow Bea

Cherished forever in our hearts
I set up a bank account just for online buying then get a Visa/ATM card for it.. Most purchases can be made that way.. And as the account has a fund limit (as much as I put in it.. It can't be misused. I did most of my shopping on line this year and last year and have never had a problem. :) (you don't max out your credit this way either LOL. :p
(if I need more funds I can also transfer on line.) sure cuts back on a lot of hassle and ends standing in line at the post office! :D

Gabriel

Account Closed
I do much the same as Bea, except I have a Paypal account..
......I also sell on eBay, so when I get paid via Paypal, I don't let more than say $50 stay in my Paypal account.. The rest gets transferred to my bank account to pay bills, etc....all of which I do online.
.....I also have a credt card attached to Paypal that is only $250 credit limit for purchases over the $50 in the Paypal account.

.....If they don't take Paypal, I use the low credit limit card for purchases at sites.....
I make sure all packages are insured in shipping also......:)

Shadow Bea

Thanks Gabriel, I'll remember that when I finally start selling on ebay :) I have a paypal account set up but have not used it yet.

Gabriel

Account Closed
It comes in real handy for me as I travel so much, and payments in the form of personal checks is problematic sometimes, though I can always cash Postal Money Orders....There are charges for recieving funds on Paypal, and some people don't like Paypal, but I love it so far. I also have their phone number in case I run into difficulty, and have used it once to resolve a problem:)

I buy a lot at Amazon and ebay. The only thing that I would add to the advice already given is to never follow a link to where you will be buying, especially a link within an email. Type the address in yourself or use your own bookmarks. Also always check to make sure the page is secure, including checking to see that the address in your address field starts with https: before entering any sensitive information. Keeping your own computer secure is important also. If someone has a trojan or keylogger installed on their computer when they conduct business online they're probably screwed. I am betting you have that angle covered already.

Yo Jack,
Get yourself one of those Sony Visa's that will pay you $100.00 after your first purchase and go for it. ALWAYS use the visa.

Suppose you get the wrong item and have to ship it back? USE THE VISA.

They will dispute the charge and credit you back all expenses you put on that credit card if you make a valid point.

You can also get what you paid for shipping back also.

For EBAY use paypal which uses your VISA now you got 2 on your side.

I buy almost everything online.

Good Luck And HAve Fun.

While your at it post some of these great bargins that are coming after the new year.

Cheer's

Shadow Bea

LuckyStrike said:
I buy a lot at Amazon and ebay. The only thing that I would add to the advice already given is to never follow a link to where you will be buying, especially a link within an email. Type the address in yourself or use your own bookmarks. Also always check to make sure the page is secure, .

That is extremely important! I have received several email scams regarding verifying the information in my account. fortunately, I knew not to follow the link in the email!

When the emails were forwarded to Amazon or Ebay They were, it turned out phishing Scams. Also just as a side note.. I never give out any info over the phone. A couple of years ago there was a thing going on where they would call pretending to be from your bank trying to verify that the activity on your card was your own.. They would ask for the card number as well as other personal information. When I was called I told them nothing and called my bank.. Found out later that a number of people had been stung on that one!

Gabriel

Account Closed
I followed one a few years back and typed in my password to my ebay account. I and had a friend of mine close all my auctions out. I emailed ebay, and they had me redo my passwords, etc. Will not fall for that one again.......:eek:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online