Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buying more RAM

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  mike114 
#1 ·
I have an HP Pavilion 531w desktop computer, 1.3 GHz Intel Celeron Processor, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, running Windows XP Home, and I'm considering adding more RAM because XP is such a memory hog. One of my PC games, The Sims, hogs a lot of memory as well, and I think it would help to add more RAM. I have 256MB right now, and I believe the maximum I can have is 512MB. I looked at Crucial but they want $77 for 256MB and I'm hoping to find some other place that is a bit cheaper than that. So, where's the best place to buy RAM?

#2 ·
try price watch they have a bunch of places to buy every thing.

clik here

#4 ·
Hi Buffy

Your PC only has two RAM slots. Do you know whether you have one slot occupied with one 256 stick or both slots occupied with two 128 sticks? If you have two 128 sticks then you'll have to subtract a 128 stick to add the 256 stick.

I have to say RAM prices can be volitile. It was only a few weeks ago that a 256 stick was going for around $50. You may very well find cheaper RAM out there but I would be wary of buying cheap RAM, IMHO. :)

Crucial and Kingston are good, dependable RAM. I see where Kingston has a 256 stick for your PC for $108. That makes Crucial look like a bargain.

Good luck.

:)

#5 ·
It has one slot that's empty. I'm going to go check down at the local computer repair shop here first to see what they've got. I'm a little nervous about installing it myself, but I figure why pay someone, when it seems so simple? Is there anything I should do before I install new RAM?

#6 ·
if its only got one slot left, then get a 256mg.

Not to discourage you, but sometimes things do happen when you install ram.

All you should be concerned about is removing the static charge from you body before working. When you open the case, touch the medal part of the case to remove the static electricity in your body. Then go ahead open and install the chip.

Best of luck!

#8 ·
RAM is one of the easiest DIY upgrades. Like gws226 mentioned, you can fry sensitive electronics like RAM and things on your mobo by static discharge, but like gws said, just touch grounded metal to make sure you're discharged.

Also, RAM only goes in one way, so make sure you see where the stick is notched along the connections and line-up the notches correctly with their counterparts in the slot. You'll see it.

Oh, one more thing, if this is the first time you're opening up your case, have canned air handy and take the opportunity to clean the dust out of your PC innards, especially in the empty RAM slot and you CPU cooling fan.

Good luck.

#9 ·
Ah, okay, well I've opened my case before and cleaned inside, actually that was about a week ago. Is there a particular place that I should put the computer on, like is it bad to do it on a carpeted floor, or does it need to be on a smooth surface?

#10 ·
No place in particular.

Of course, make sure its well lit and I would recommend a surface that does not scratch easily/ does not scratch the case.

Now is a great time to get all the nasty dust out of there too. It will make your PC run cooler(ie: increase its life span!)

Best of luck!

#11 ·
Does it matter if the memory is PC 133 or PC 100? Cause I just went down to the computer repair shop and he said he'll need to look at the tower before I buy the memory so we know if it takes PC 100 or PC 133. So I guess I'll have to wait until Monday.

#12 ·
That's a speed designation of the RAM. To avoid any incompatibility issues it's better to match with what you already have.

#14 ·
I would have thought that as you are probably not intending to run an overclocking rig that pretty standard PC133 ram would be fine, I would expect that you would pick up a 256mb stick for $50 or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.