Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buying new AIO ot Desktop

345 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  replay 
#1 ·
Hi, i am looking to buy a new PC. Pteferrably AIO due to space constrained.

Any reliable brand to introduce?
Thank you very much

#2 ·
A-I-O systems are generally frowned upon within tech circles for the same reasons some people like them. Everything is built in. If the monitor goes, rather than just replacing it, you're looking at the whole system being down.

You don't say what you plan on using the system for, but if you are looking into AIOs, your needs are likely not in the power user realm. You may want to consider some of these small form factor systems (about the size of a cigar box). Most of them offer a small cage with what's called VESA mounting. You can actually mount the PC behind the monitor, between it and the stand. That would reduce the real estate used and provide the ability to upgrade your monitor in the future, or replace it if faulty, or replace the PC without having to dispose of a perfectly good monitor.

#3 ·
I avoid AIO units because of past headaches with 2 units. One was purchased and the other I saved from a landfill.
They tend to run hot because the computer is behind the monitor. If the video chip dies, you can throw the unit out because the video is a chip soldered to the motherboard and can't be easily replaced like a video card can. Most AIO units don't have a port for another connection so if something goes wrong with the screen, you can't attach another monitor to test.

I'd look at units that Mark suggested. You want to be able to replace parts.

#4 ·
I would recommend AIO if you just need it for general use, have space issues and no plans to upgrade. I have two of them and they are great. I have a dell set up with a second monitor and been using it for eight years. The newest is a hp I got a year ago. Never had a problem with either of them, as long as you don't count what I caused ;-)

As previously mentioned, if you get one, make sure it has the specs you will need for the life of it because they tend not to be up upgradable. As far as running hot, no different than a laptop. Basically an AIO is an oversize laptop that cannot be carried around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.