1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buying new CPU, need help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mayor Quimby, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mayor Quimby

Mayor Quimby Thread Starter

2. SirMeaky

SirMeaky

The link to your motherboard only goes to lanparty however I Googled both the chips and they are the same socket (AM2) so yes the new chip will :)

EDIT: Downside of gettng the new one, is if your motherboard is socket AM2 you will lose out on powersaving features of the new chip (AM2+) and you may also lose Hypertransport 3 operating at up to 2.6Ghz.

This is not personal experience only what I have just researched :) I am an Intel fanboy :p

3. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hey there, Without knowing the exact motherboard it is not possible to tell if a motherboard supports a certain CPU. Just because it has the correct socket doesn't mean it will work.

Jack-O-Bytes

4. SirMeaky

SirMeaky

Sorry about that I wasn't aware. I have always gone with the socket number when matching CPUs with a motherboard. (As well as a list of processor that it was made for but I thought that was just optimisation.

5. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Nope. I had a load of trouble with a CPU overheating by putting it into a motherboard that had correct socket but didn't support it. I managed to fix it by updating the BIOS on the board and ever since it has worked perfectly.

Jack-O-Bytes

6. SirMeaky

SirMeaky

Ah okay, thanks :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/936740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice