1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

buying new cpu, will it work?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lostroast, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lostroast

lostroast Thread Starter

I just want to know before I order, how will I know whether or not it will work or not...?

I'm running XP, 320 megs ram, currently 500mhz cpu... on an IBM machine (aptiva to be exact)...
    looking to buy AMD Athlon XP 1700 1.47GHz 3D NOW! (Socket-A) 266FSB Processor....

and also, any words of advice while installing?

thanks

2. swwelsh

swwelsh

You'll need a new motherboard to run that chip. Its possible that a new board would fit in an IBM case, but most IBM machines that age have a non-standard configuration, and the new parts may not fit. I would try to squeeze a bit more life from your current system and save up for a new one

3. Mavrick88

Mavrick88

Yes, if you are going to buy a new processor, just wait for the AMD 64 bit chip set that is coming out soon! It's much much much much more faster and just around the cornor. Get a little more life from your computer you have now. You will have to get a new CPU, Motherboard, and memory. MAYBE everything else from your old computer will transfer over, like your Hard Drive, CD-ROM, ect. You will probably need a new case too. It's still cheeper than buying a new computer and pluse you get more bang for your buck this way! GOOD LUCK!

4. lostroast

lostroast Thread Starter

thanks everyone.... you saved me a bit of trouble. I was thinking that it couldn't have been as easy as dumping $50 to triple the cpu's power. I'll live with what I have, and squeeze it to its death....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!