1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Buying new desktop/laptop--always best to choose best processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jethsy, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jethsy

jethsy Thread Starter

As a rule of thumb, do you agree that one should always choose the best processor for the money one wants to spend? In other words, is it priority--all other things being equal--to get the highest-benchmark-processor one can afford?
    Thanks!

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That rather ruins your question.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    not really a question there now ...

4. jethsy

jethsy Thread Starter

I am sorry, but I don't understand your replies. I'll try to clarify my question...
    I was asking opinions--completely sincerely. Is the top priority processor benchmark, or is another spec more important?

5. jethsy

jethsy Thread Starter

Okay, I will further clarify...
    For a basic computer user, no gaming, no video editing, is processor benchmark the most important spec to consider when buying a new computer?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    No, not for basic computing
    if i was offered a fast processer with 1GB RAM
    or a slower CPU with 4GB ram, i would choose the slower PC
    you said
    which means ALL the rest of the PC specification is equal and so the only difference can be the CPU performance

I would also be looking at things like USB3 , if using an external USB a lot
    Size of screen - Keyboard - some people have specifically wanted the number pad
    Weight of PC
    Battery life
    memory card reader
    Does it have DVD writer - some more portable PC do not - but this maybe important
    which of the specs details above are most important to the user

For my clients looking at bsic computing, I usually suggest an i3 CPU or equivalent , 4GB ram
    Then it just depends on what else they specifically want

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's generally a balance with how much money you want to spend. You don't want to get the fastest processor and crappy specs for everything else and you not do you need the best processor if you only do basic work. It also depends on what you will do with the computer, a top of line Intel i7 is a waste of money if all you do is surf the web and do word processing. The money may be better spent on an SSD or just saved for something else.

Once you add the "all other things being equal" the question only becomes a question about spending more money on the processor, not what is a priority. In that case, if you can afford to get the fastest and most expensive processor then go for it.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    So to summarise : Do you want a desktop PC or a laptop ? What's your budget ? What will you use the computer for ?

9. jethsy

jethsy Thread Starter

Thanks to all! I am sorry I didn't ask the question in the way that I meant to do, but you all have helped me anyway!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1154712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice