1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

buying new gaming desktop from best buy ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qmuddy2, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qmuddy2

qmuddy2 Banned Thread Starter

don't want to spend more than $1000, looking at hp, 16gb ram, i have a dvd of windows 7 and i re-install windows when i have problems, eg, virus's , etc. i can't figure out; i'll try a system restore before i re-install windows 7; the hp has a built-in dvd reader, i also have some old games on dvd i use occasionally ; all the other machines i'm looking at, eg, the dell with 16gb ram don't have a built-in dvd, as well as the ibuypower,etc. machines; how hard is it to attach an external hard drive , if i end up with the dell, if i need to re-install windows 7 ? all these new machines come with windows 10, which i would wipe-out, if i decided to install windows 7; thanks

2. qmuddy2

external dvd reader is what i meant to say, not external hard drive; sorry !

3. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You can by a USB DVD drive easily enough. Here are some examples from Best Buy, since you mentioned that store, but you could probably find them cheaper elsewhere.

If you're going to install Win 7, you might want to check the BIOS for the new PC supports booting from a USB DVD drive. If not, you can always create a Win 7 boot drive. However, just be sure there are Win 7 drivers for the PC in question.

4. qmuddy2

thanks !! i'm not real technical and don't want to get more technical than i have to; what if i had a copy of windows 10 ? would i still have to worry about re-loading windows ? windows 10 does not come on a dvd, i think it's a thumb drive or something that plugs into a usb port; i have gotten used to installing windows to solve any virus or other problems, if a restore does not work, as i never need anything on my hard-drive, plus i have some old games on dvd i occasionally use; someone at another tech forum said therre would be not problem installing windows 7 on a new pc desktop that had windows 10; you seem to think there could be some incompatability ? thanks a millionn !

5. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

It's my personal opinion, but I would recommend sticking with Windows 10 if it comes on the PC. You'll save yourself some potential headaches and have an OS that's good to go. You can use this page to create installation media for Windows 10 if you ever have to re-install. The product key is stored in hardware, so the installer will pick it up from there and you'll be able to re-install fairly painlessly.

There may be issues when it comes to drivers. However, what's the exact model of HP you're looking to purchase? If we get that, we can always check the HP site to see if there are Win 7 drivers which will work.

6. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Regarding the details you sent to me in a message: the HP does not have Win 7 drivers; it's Win 10 only (see here). Same goes for the Dell; it only has drivers for Win 10 and Ubuntu (see here).

7. qmuddy2

thanks !! hp: 690-0034 dell: I5676-A696BLU-PUS the reason i started looking at the hp was the built-in dvd reader, none of the other gaming series desktops at best buy have a built-in dvd reader (models that they have in the store, not delivery, ie); i've gotten used to re-installing windows when i run into trouble and don't feel like getting to deep into the technical problem, virus's , etc. i'll first try a restore, then reinstall windows it that doesn't fix the problem, as i never have anything 0n my hard-drive that i can't afford to loose; now i'm thinking about buying a copy of windows 10, if i run into problems with the new computer; thanks a million !!

8. qmuddy2

thanks; i would not be able to install windows 7 on either of these computers ? thanks again

9. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

No, you won't be able to install it.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want a real gaming system, I would REALLY do the build yourself or have a local shop do the build for you. Dell, hp, etc are not designed for the stress of gaming [exception being the dell/alienware systems] however you are NOT going to get one of those for $1000.
    Really a gaming system is going to cost more than your budget. So called "Gaming" systems that sell for budget prices are cutting costs somewhere. Up to you, you get what you pay for....

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!