1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buying new motherboard question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by techkuestions, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techkuestions

techkuestions Thread Starter

is it enough to see if the current motherboard matches the replacement’s specs and dimensions, such as cpu, ram capacity, laptop screensize; or do u need to also match its serial number??

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, it depends on what type of system; ie desktop, laptop, what?
    Next if you want to use your existing windows install and or lic key, then the motherboard must be the system mfg designated replacement. If you have an OEM type windows lic, you change the board and you need a new lic for windows [if you use the mfg designated replacement board OR if you have a full retail ver of windows, then the above does not apply]

3. techkuestions

It’s for a laptop. One vendor requested a serial no to find the match, but also others are seen sold only mentioning specs and not asking for serial no. This confused me, now i’d like to get a replacement board but internalized that vendor’s scaremongering. Should i just go by identical specs and model name, yes, no?

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

In a laptop it needs to be the exact "model" number, a serial number will help the vendor match it up to the correct one for the case. Usually you have to have a exact replacement for a laptop. Some laptop makers have a serial number for a series of the same model. On a desk top you just need the same model number of motherboard to replace it with out having to reload the operating system. It is harder to replace a motherboard in a laptop than a desktop. They have special connectors that have to be taken apart an reused. Best to pay an experienced tech to replace a laptop board.

5. techkuestions

I see. Well, i’ve been trying to keep costs down by learning how to remove and mount the current board, therefore figure if i can just get a right replacement i could easily install it. Guess i’d have to ask sellers on ebay if they know the serial nos of their used ones.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What laptop is it ?

7. techkuestions

Stupid apple iphone and the internet...

Ok, so it’s a lenovo flex 4, 1570 core i7 (hope that wasn’t in vain;). Searching mainboard on those specs brings up good enough results, then i heard you need serial number from a cpl sources, but most of those sellers don’t list that ime.

8. techkuestions

So, i posted specs but no reply so far. In the meanwhile i contacted another seller of said motherboard who said a serial no is not necessary, as long as the specs match. If ‘u’ were to purchase a used motherboard for your laptop, would you insist on finding the serial no, or simply go by the specs? Who’s telling the truth here? Do u need to match the serial no, or no?

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice