1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buying new motherboard.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by renegade X, Aug 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. renegade X

renegade X Thread Starter

Im gonna build me a new gaming unit. I found this one I want but I dont see an AGP slot. There is something there, but it isnt an AGP adapter.

WTH? Any ideas?

2. Sponsor

3. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

• 11.96 in.(L) x 9.61 in.(W); ATX
    • 4 DIMMs w/ DDR 400 upto 4 GB
    • 1 PCI-E 16X; 1 PCI-E 1X; 1 PCI-E 4X; 4 PCI; 10 USB
    • 7.1 Ch. Audio; Gb LAN; RAID(0, 1, 0+1); SATA; ATA133
    • Live Update; Fuzzy Logic; PC Alert; MSI CoreCell; MSI CoreCenter; DOT , DigiCell; nVidia Firewall

It is a PCIexpress x16 slot, much better than an AGP and new tech.

4. buckfan1

buckfan1

It has the pci express slot for the new pci-e video cards. you might want to look into newegg and do a search for what you want in a motherboard. They have some great tools to help you find what you want. Price is good too.

5. renegade X

Yes agreed NewEgg is a great site, but I know 3 people that have this board and I have seen it perform. And for 80USD, thats nice. :)
    But, I do wonder about the PCI-e from factor.

I see the XFX Geforce 6600 GT for about 130USD, not too bad. This may be something I need so I wont have so many PCs lying about, because I have to upgrade so often. :(

6. shadowman25

shadowman25 Guest

make sure you get the pcie version of the card also and not the AGP.

I am making a new computer and am also going to buy a motherboard with pcie on it in order to help "future-proof" my machine. I would recommend going with the newest standards in order not to be left behind later.

7. renegade X

Newest standard would mean 512MB of video memory. Thats some big bucks $$$$. Well now that you mention it, I wont get that card listed above, its only 128MB. That wont even run some of the latest games. 256MB it is, still pricey.

8. shadowman25

shadowman25 Guest

ohoh i meant newest standards, mobo wise, in reference to the pcie vs. agp. sorry for the confusion. yes i know 512 mb on vid cards is way out of pricerange for most people

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/389374