Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buying RAM?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  src04c 
#1 ·
Well i had this computer for about 3-4 years... somewhere around there where 256 MB of Ram is what i currently have for this desktop. Pretty crappy compare to today's technology which im still amazed at how quickly it grew. Anyways i was hoping to buy some more RAM and install it myself but i don't know how and what the average price cost is. Looking for 1-2 GB of RAM hopefully 2 GB.

#2 ·
iskillz: The best thing you could do is go to www.crucial.com and use their RAM finder.
It's very simple. You enter your PC or motherboard maker's name in a drop down list and then it will find all the info you need, including maximum ram supported, type of ram supported, etc.
They will offer prices on any size ram for your machine and will guarantee that it will work.
You don't have to buy from them but it is a very good sorce of information.

#10 ·
1gb pc3200 DDR ram is more than enough for win xp+most other basic funtions. You could basically have more than a few programs running and still be perfectly fine. Unless you are running programs that use large amounts of resources(ie: autocad, microstation, or some video editing software) 1gb should be more than ample.

Also when you do upgrade, make sure to change you vm pagefile. If you do nothing but simple tasks and want to get 2gb, not using a pagefile, or using one that is only 256-512mb would be more than ample.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.