1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buying used memory off Ebay!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JMT74, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JMT74

JMT74 Thread Starter

Hi, I am looking to go from 256 meg to 512 meg and I was wondering what people thought about buying used memory off of ebay? It is the exact same manufacturer and product number that is in my computer. I mean memory is memory used or not right?

2. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Used maybe, but abused also.... probably.
    It's a really bad idea.

I wouldn't even buy "new" memory via eBay.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    But it could be faulty, mishandled, subjected to environmental/phyiscal damage. Warranty can be a problem too. Also some of the prices aren't that great compared to retail stores, don't forget about shipping costs.

4. Shamou

Shamou

Well, I did buy a Sonny VAIO laptop on eBay... how could a guy go wrong... it was said to be in top shape...

...when I received it, the battery had a life expectancy of about two minutes... (a replacement cost about $200.00)... and the OS...was pirated... the clip for the extended power line was broken... and would not hold the cord...

...I wrote a nasty review for the person who sold it to me... but, that was my only satisfaction... and $700.00 down the drain...

That is only my experience on eBay... but maybe worth sharing...

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Trust me, you're not alone.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Buying technology items used on eBay is a fools errand! :eek: Way too many people selling their junk there. :rolleyes:

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

It's like buying anywhere, what people don't do is research the item to make sure it's right fpr them, and check out the seller to make sure they are straight shooters.
    I buy mostly memory used on eBay which I use to upgrade used pc's in my business and have never had a problem. If you know what desnity means, ecc and cas latency, then you are good to go. If you don't stay away and if you have a doubt on what you are about to bid on, pass.
    eBay has many dealers who are online retailers selling for less, new perfectly valid merchandise. The othert thing I have bought about 50 of is used cpu's and never had a problem. new ones are too high there, better off an online retailers.

8. Mulderator

Mulderator

I have purchased a lot off E-bay including two computers with no problems. You have to make sure you are buying from reputable sellers. I also make sure there is a return policy.

If the person who is selling it guarantees it will work or can be returned, I see no problem with used memory, although I would expect to pay a considerable discount to make it worth it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!