Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

buying xp pro

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ozrom1e 
#1 ·
hey i want to buy a genuine copy of windows xp professional. i think i found it for pretty cheap but i wanted to get some confirmation that i will be able to register this version and be legit. i only want to put it on this one computer.

#2 ·
fookum said:
hey i want to buy a genuine copy of windows xp professional. i think i found it for pretty cheap but i wanted to get some confirmation that i will be able to register this version and be legit. i only want to put it on this one computer.
How cheap? That will tell you whether its legitimate or not. I would buy it from a reputable source--NewEgg has OEM version for $137.

BTW--you can get it cheaper by buying one with SP1, then slipstream and create your own CD with SP2--a way to save some money because the SP1 versions are cheaper than SP2.

#3 ·
Well, you sent me this link in PM:

http://www.ankhsoft.com/info-Microsoft_Windows_XP__Professional_SP2.html

$59 looks like a pretty good deal. I'd be interested to know if you get an authentic serial number from MS. Maybe someone else has some experience with this vendor. Keep in mind that you don't get a CD, you get an image download and must make a CD out of it.

#5 ·
No way that's legit. Look at the prices for other apps. Adobe PhotoShop for $65? Don't think so. The "Contact Us" link just gives you an ASP form. There's no physical address. You're not even getting a CD. You're just downloading a file.

Do not buy anything from this company.

#6 ·
You need to read the homepage carefully near the bottom starting with;

"Consider one more option - OEM software"

Especially the sentence; "And at the same time you may be sure that it is really LEGAL though you can't register it anymore and receive updates, but for such a low sum - it is really marvelous."

So you download it, burn it to disk and now you have a pirated copy that you can't register and receive updates. Not such a bargain in my mind.

#10 ·
Personally, before I purchased anything from Greatsoftwaredeals I would ask them for the Microsoft part number for the item.

The correct current Microsoft part number for an OEM Windows XP OS with SP2 is;
E85-04026.

I would be concerned as to how a company could sell a product for approximately $50 cheaper than Newegg, when Newegg is known to be an honest, reliable seller.

#11 ·
Mulder said:
How cheap? That will tell you whether its legitimate or not. I would buy it from a reputable source--NewEgg has OEM version for $137.

BTW--you can get it cheaper by buying one with SP1, then slipstream and create your own CD with SP2--a way to save some money because the SP1 versions are cheaper than SP2.
Cheap downloadable
oem software!

This above is from that site.

Stay away from it there is nothing legal about downloading this software. Windows is only legal if it comes ona Microsoft media.

What you should look for with genuine Microsoft software http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.