1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buzzing noise on speakers

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by millsy5, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. millsy5

millsy5 Thread Starter

I have a straight connection from the sound card (green headphone jack) on my computer to the phono (red & white) input on an amplifier. The cable is stereo to phono (1.5m long). When I have the volume low on the pc and turn up the volume on the amp I get a really bad buzzing sound on my speakers, espically the center speaker (I've a 5.1 setup). When I play music on the pc this noise is very bad. I get this noise both from the onboard and PCI sound cards. This is no conflict of sound cards on the pc as this occurred before I instlled the new sound card. I also tried a different stereo to phono cable but the noise is still there. Any suggestions on the cause of this noise or how to eliminate it?

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Hi mate!

Can you try switching from the phono inputs to tape/auxilary or whatever is similar? Usually buzzing indicates cable/contact problems but you never know...What happens if you plug standard PC speakers/headphones directly to your sound card output? Does the noise still exist ?

EDIT:Also check with a stereo configuration instead of 5:1. The green sound card output is stereo only so the noise could be related...

3. sup2a

sup2a

could it be static? try moving the speakers further away from each other

4. millsy5

millsy5 Thread Starter

There is no noise when using the PC speakers.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You have a "hum loop" caused by the amplifier chassis being designed to "float" isolated from ground, while the PC is grounded.

6. millsy5

millsy5 Thread Starter

is there a solution to this "hum loop" problem?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701185

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice