1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bypass or change XP user password.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Vanillachicken, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vanillachicken

Vanillachicken Thread Starter

I have an old dell running XP SP1 that is being used only be two young children. Well, as children do, they got bored and proceeded to fiddle with random settings to the computer. Whether they knew that's what they were doing or not, one of them managed to change the administration username and password, or rather, create one to begin with. When I formatted the computer for the kids, I intentionally used no administration password so they could simply turn on the computer and start playing games. In any case, there is now an administrator with a name to the effect of "gajfskahajdsfh" and Surprisingly enough, the password hint wasn't all too helpful. Now I'm stuck with a guest account which has absolutely no security privileges.

What I'm looking for is a way to bypass or change the current password without having to resort to completely reformatting the drive. Despite how little there actually is to lose on that machine.

I attempted the repair windows trick with "NUSRMGR.CPL" but get an error message saying "the current user is not recognized, restart the computer and then open user accounts."

Thank you in advance.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

We no longer assist with password problems. Please see the tsg rules. This thread is closed.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Format it. Teach the little darlings a lesson. Hope they don't lose too much of their stuff ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/684935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice