Bypass squid from a Windows station

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Manix

I use WinXP, I am in a network and between me and internet there is a Red Hat server with squid as proxy. I can go in internet through the proxy but also I can go directly by settings this option in IExplorer or Mozilla. The big question is: when I go directly bypassing the proxy, are the logs saved and can anybody see which sites do I visit? Is there any way in which the admin can see the requests if I go directly? If it's possible, how can I know this? I have access to the server, I can play around but I'm not root.
Thanks anyway.

Even though you are not using the features of the squid proxy, anytime you are directed through a firewall or server, your actions can be logged. It all depends how much the admin of the server has decided to implement.

Most admins are not scouring over logs to see where you are surfing. We look for anomalies and areas of bandwidth saturation. I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless you are trying to hide something specific from the admin.

And use the proxy if possible, it helps the Internet in general and should speed your access anyways.

Manix

Thanks for your help. Usually I use the proxy but sometimes I prefer not to and I hope the admin will not know. ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts